GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default '99 Silverado Random No Start

So recently I just did a bunch of fuel system work on this 5.3 Silverado. Pressure regulator, fuel pump, fuel filter, map sensor. And it ran fine for a while but then it randomly just does not want to start. Usually after it has been sitting for at least a few hours.

One day my wife called, said it wouldn't start at the grocery store. I borrow a car and half way there she calls and says that it started.

It turns over fine and with starting fluid it will run long enough to burn the fluid.

One thing I haven't done yet is correctly solder the wires to the fuel pump. I just used the crimp connectors that came with the new harness. So that would be one guess. I did wrap it very well with heavy duty electrical tape though. I have a hole cut for access to the pump so I can get back in later to make the correct connections.

Also I have been getting codes the 2 obd codes that would indicate a vacuum leak. But usually the ses light only stays on for a few minutes before going away.

Any thoughts?
    1999 Chevrolet Suburban LS K1500
    1991 Chevrolet S10 4.3L 4x4
    2005 Suzuki Forenza (GM/Daewoo)

Definately a fuel prob, when it wont start find the test port on the rail and push the valve with a pen or something to see if there is any pressure. Prob the pump connections.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.