GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Have you checked the ignition control module? It will be mounted near the coil if I remember correctly on the 97. AUTOZONE Can test it for you... They run around $30
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

replace the ignition modual in the distributo and a new cap and rotor now its sparking still wont starts just back fires

Doublecheck that you didn't install the plug wires incorrectly... That's my guess.
    2009 Chevy Silverado 2500HDLT 6.0L w/ Towing Package, Dick Cepek GM8 Rims, Dick Cepek FC II 33X11.50R17,RKSport Ram-Air Hood(Functional), Lazer Lite Aluminum Tonneau Cover, Road Armor Stealth Bumper, PIAA Lighting, Diablo Trinity Tuner, Diablew Custom Tune, BullyDog Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers w/highflow cats, Corsa Performance Sport Exhaust, Custom Striping, Black Bowties front and rear, Fuel Grille Inserts, Recon Headlights, Readylift Shocks, Readylift Upper Contol Arms, 2" Blocks in the Rear..

Future Plans: HD Tie Rods, Under hood upgrades, Crower Camshaft and possibly electric fans.

Jr. Mechanic

Check your ignition module and pickup coil inside your distributor. More than likely, there is where your problem lies. Hope this helps!
    '88 Jimmy 4X4
    5.3l L59/ 4L60E Tuned by Tad
    4" Lift 33" BFG. Custom Brush Guard, KCs, outside spare, Oil pan guard etc.

If its backfiring the wires from the cap to the plugs are in the wrong order, they could either be routed to the wrong plug/ distributor port, the cap on 180* off or the whole distributor itself is turned. Now my bet is the plug wires since these motors with the computers can run good up to like 33* off either way.

On another note if you were gonna miss 2 weeks work why not take it to a shop? the missed pay would more than cover this repair.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

As I mentioned my guess is the plug wires were installed in correctly... I assume you pulled the wires one by one and moved to the new cap. I'm gonna guess you put the number one on the wrong connector on the cap... And you may have to just rotate them all... Not that I have done this myself or anything...))))

it was the ignition module

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12