GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1997 k1500 wont start-No spark

I have a 1997 k1500 z71 4x4 it wont start i replaced the starter crank sensor and the ignition coil and cleaned the distributor and still no spark please help i need to be running again

, You may get more help posting in on of the tech forums. Also question to help out did you use Delco parts? GM engines are finicky about that no one knows why, but starting problems can easily be caused by using Non OEM parts.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

**Moved To PowerTrain tech**

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

this is the 4th chevy i owned and i only use delco parts

Ok at least that removes one major variable. Have you tested the resistance of the plug wires, Also how old are they and the plugs.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

You said "cleaned the distributor" what about the rotor or "button" inside? Have you checked to see if you are getting spark out of the coil? Is the distributor rotor rotating when you crank it over?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

pulled it apart everyhing is shinny now and i replaced the coil and it is rotating

ok, but, is there sparking coming out of the coil wire?

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

wires have been on for awhile the plugs are only like 5 months old

- - - Updated - - -

theres power to the coil but no spark

- - - Updated - - -

i need to get this truck running i havent been able to work in 2 weeks cause of this

Quote Originally Posted by 97mud View Post
    wires have been on for awhile the plugs are only like 5 months old

- - - Updated - - -

theres power to the coil but no spark

- - - Updated - - -

i need to get this truck running i havent been able to work in 2 weeks cause of this
    If there is power to the coil but no spark coming out of it then I think you have a poorly grounded coil.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast