GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Z71 2wd into Z71 4x4

I want to turn my 2wd into a 4x4 I got a great deal on the truck and dont want to sell it. Its the Z71 package but 2wd. Im sure its more complicated than buying a transfer case front chunk and wiring to hook up the switch. Anyone done this or is it too much trouble. Thanks for the input.

Jr. Apprentice

Unless you can get a donor truck for next to nothing, the costs will be more than the worth. You will need trans output shaft and housing changed, transfer case, front differential, front axles, front hubs, driveshaft, pcm, controls and maybe more that I am missing.

Does the truck mean more to you than about $5000, thats a low estimate of having someone do the work for you.
    No offense meant here but if your asking on the internet how to do the job and what parts you need you probably arent capable of doing the work yourself.
    You'll also need to plan other transportation for the better part of at least a month since thats the average time it takes to complete this task.
    You might want to rethink your plans and look at selling this truck and buying a 4x4.
    And yes I do have a bit of experience at this task, I've built over a dozen 4x4's from the ground up and converted probably another dozen, each one is still a learning experience.

I appreciate the input bmason. Although I suppose I should have specified my question was more along the lines of are the frames on the two wheel drives different from the four? That was my main concern I will have about two grand in parts using used parts. I have done a good bit of research just needed a little extra help. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this exact project?

I feel like a solid axle swap is the best route. What year is your truck? Also do you have a center console cuz I'd go with a floor shifter to make it easier. It's not to fun on newer trucks though
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

My truck is an 08 and I thought about the sas, but idk I don't want a super huge lift more less just want about a two inch lift. But I would love a solid axle.

- - - Updated - - -

My truck is an 08 and I thought about the sas, but idk I don't want a super huge lift more less just want about a two inch lift. But I would love a solid axle.

I just think it'll be cheaper to get a solid axle even if you are going to inches. If your doing it yourself. One day my 09 will be solid axle. I'm loving these 87s I just got, there last year of the solid axle I believe
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

You would need a donor for the frame mounting brackets alone, I've never done it but the differences between the two are too much to justify. Now I think the only saving point is the 07-08 body change removed the old t-bar setup for the coils so that might help on the conversion but I think your sunk.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.