GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Exclamation HELP! Need to fix my rental's bumper before it goes back...

To make a long story short: My truck is in for warranty repairs. I was given a 2013 Suburban rental, and I ended up hitting a rubber/vinyl tarp on the freeway that scuffed up the front bumper. (If you want to read the whole story, here ya go.)

My body shop was able to get all the scratches and scuffs out of the front bumper by buffing it, but I'm stuck with this lower plastic black Valiance part of the bumper that's all scratched up. (Here's a link to the piece I'm talking about on eBay)

If I had the time, I'd just spend the $40 and replace it (if I take the rental in damaged at all, they're going to take my deductible of $500 and go through my insurance. I'm trying to avoid that..) But I need to return the rental car tomorrow morning :/ . This is the only thing I'm worried about.. the actual painted part of the bumper is fine and looks like nothing happened, but this lower valiance piece is gonna give it away.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the scratches out of it? They're not that deep.. and this part isn't painted, it's just black plastic. I'm thinking maybe sanding it down so they're less noticeable? Or is sanding not a good idea? If sanding is a good idea, what grit sandpaper should I try?
    2012 Silverado 1500
    2004 Silverado 1500 (SOLD): http://tinyurl.com/JRD761sTruck
    1977 Silverado C20:
    http://tinyurl.com/JRD761-1977-C20

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Heat gun and try to mold it back?? It is a loaner I would just bring it back on the side of the building and leave them the keys. If it's that low they may not see it..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Jr. Engineer

i agree with just letting it go as is. they probably will never see it. and only if they give you a hard time, then offer to pay for the part or something, otherwise... out of sight, out of mind.

but always remember this while im thinking of it... the person before you must have hit a curb. true story.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

My dad did this same thing in a Tahoe a few weeks ago they let it slide. He was pissed at himself for like a week after cuz he tells us how he hasn't put a scratch in a car since 1975
    2009 chevy 1500 z71 4x4
    2.5 ccm level,2.5 inch rear blocks 305/60/18 coopers stt,Debadged,10 series flow w/dual exit in front or right rear tire, KN CAI, diablo InTune, 18% tint all the way around ,spec-d euro headlights with black housings,winjet smoke LED tail lights,putco LED third brake light smoked, fab fours front bumper with 10k warn winch, RK sports ram air hood
    1965 c10 swb, zz4 350 with the hot cam and fast burn heads and a 780 Holley on top, richmond super street 5 speed,restorod

I would let it go. If they do have an issue with it then tell them you will buy the part to fix it. No point in paying $500 for a $40 part

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

So what did you do???