GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Volant cold air intake and scoop on 2007 Suburban

Just picked up a Volant CAI for my 2007 Suburban. I alsosprung for the Volant "scoop." It is an attachment that goes from thebottom of the air box and goes behind the tow hook. In theory it willsuck up the outside air instead of air from the fender and it should be cooler. Possiblyat higher speeds the scoop may act as a mini "ram air." Not sure whatto expect. Volant.com claims the CAI alone is supposed to get 2-4 mpg gain andthe added scoop claim is 3 mpg. I would be happy to get 2 mpg increase. Isthere anyone out there with this set up? I have the 5.3. Just curious what to expect.I will post results after I drive it for a while. Here is a picture of what Iam talking about. I got the whole setup for just under $350.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	357531_sm.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	34675

Congrats on the purchase, I hope you get the 2 mpg your looking for. I heard the scoop doesnt make much of a difference but hope it helps out. Let me know how it goes & what you think. I dont have Volant but was looking into getting one
    Everyday I wake up is a great day! ;-)
    05' Chevy Suburban, 11' Ford Fiesta

I put the Volant CAI with scoop on my '03 burb 2500. It does help some at mid range but I think it does alot more at full throttle. The scoop seemed to help on the highway but the box still has the opening on the side to let air in through the fender, that way if something gets in the scoop it doesn't clog. Volant told me I could close one opening off and use the other. I think it would help to close off the fender if on the highway.
    Cons: The scoop really works good to shove air in the bottom of the box but it shoves everything else with it ( bugs, rain). THe bottom of my filter where the scoop opening is was full of debris and dark color from all the things that came up th e scoop. Needs the prefilter bag over the filter.
    As far as fuel mileage not much difference. I have a 2000 rpm stall converter that sucks up my fuel. On the highway it does better. I removed the scoop for the winter (snow drifts) and have not put it back on yet. Getting the power core filter and prefilter.

I pull a Travel trailer and at around 2000-2200 rpm the CAI makes a deep drone noise at hard throttle, only with the converter locked up. I have to go above or below this rpm to not listen to it. Not towing it sounds neat because its not as loud. Going for Blackbear tune next.
    Last edited by Marcus A.; 05-02-2012 at 09:05 PM.
    2003 Suburban 2500 LT, 6.0l Volant cai. 3.73 gear. Mobil 1 syn oil

CAI's generally do nothing human noticeable except change the sound of things ... unless at WOT. Your observation about it doing 'more at full throttle' is in keeping with this.

I like the look of the Volant's under the hood. As far as appearance goes I applaud your choice.

I too have 2007 Suburban, Let me know if you can beat 16MPG.Good Luck!!