GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default got a couple questions/ asking your thoughts on a new mod

hey guys, i was digging thru some stuff around the house the other day and i came across a Cobra 29 WX NW ST, aswell as the microphone for it, a split 20' antenna cable, 2 mirror mounts, and 2 48" antennas.

Planning on putting it on the rig but ive got a couple questions on mounting the head unit inside the cab.

1) my first idea: I replaced my stock radio/ cd player with an aftermarket radio that was the same width but considerably flatter, roughly half the size.
    The cd player i purchased came with a cover plate and a small cubby hole that goes under neath the cd player, covering up the gap in the dash from using a smaller radio.
    I'm hoping that i can get lucky and by removing the cover plate and cubby hole i can stuff the cb radio in under neath my cd player and have them stacked one over the other. the Microphone mount i could mount on the dash, probably on the flat surface forward of the shift lever, this place is void of anything mechanical and would keep it easily accessable yet out of the way of using the dials on the dash. This will give a much cleaner look than any other way of installing i feel. However i'm concerned about having both radio's so close to one another and over heating.

2) my next idea: above the rear view mirror you will see a small cubby hole just forward of the aimable cab lights, I use to use this to stack cd's in but i got sick of picking them up off the back seat and floor every time i left a stop sign. So lately i've just had a few soft coozies stuffed in there. If i remove the black molded cubby hole then i'll be left with a large rectangular hole in the tan overhead compartment and i think i'll possible be able to slide the cb in there. using a coule self tappers i could mount the microphone plate on the side of the over head compartment. I'm unsure if it will fit here due to size.

3) anothe idea: My truck is a Z71 LT1, i have buttons on the steering wheel and a pannenger airbag shutoff on the dash, but instead of the full center console i have the flip up jump seat with storage in the seat back. Im thinking of making a custom center console section that i could slide in this area. My truck has the AutoTrac NP245 Transfer Case so the 4wd is engaged via dash buttons so there is no floor lever. I could build a small box, wrap it in thin carpet or rhino line the exterior, and on the top i could recess the cb radio into the box, also i could use this as a location to mount auxillery guages and switches that i plan on installing. Another thought for the switch location is in the 3 spaces to the left and above the passenger airbag shutoff, i helped a buddy mount switches here for his Blue Light (fire fighter) and it looked really good all done. almost like they were suppose to be there.

4) stealth: having the jumpseat instead of the center console, i'm also considering mounting the cb radio inside the backrest storage and having it completely hidden until the storage is opened.
    5) good ol redneck ingenuity: use a couple of sheetrock screws and some JB Weld and mount the sucker right on the dash

I'm having trouble uploading photos to this thread, hopefully somebody can help.

Let me know your thoughts on any of these ideas, What you'd do, What you wouldnt, What you've done..

Any and all info is appreciated and i'll try to get pics up soon.

Thanks in Advance!

-BFG-

i would put it under the dash to be honest. self tappers into the underside of the dash below the radio someplace. then its easily removeable if you want and easy to access.

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

I'd put it in the mini overhead console if its measurements showed that it'd fit in terms of LxWxD. It's largely dead space, up there, and it's nice to put it to good use. It's easily accessed and visible space, and that console comes down with exactly one screw and two pop-in pressure points (at least that's how it is on the NBS trucks).

Also, you don't have to tear your dash apart to do the install ... just remove the overhead console and driver's side a-pillar cover. You'll need to pull a power and ground lead up from the in-cab fuse box. A ground can easily be made there ... and tapping the +12v IGN 10amp fuse (at least that's what it is in NBS trucks) is a cakewalk, there, as well.

The cubby is held in place by some melted plastic rivets, so if you remove it from the overhead console then you won't be replacing it easily. Given this, you'd be better off milling the molded cubby hole to allow the unit to fit as you want it to, as the cubby will provide some structure/support for the unit (since you'll mill it to your needs) rather than relying only on the shell of the overhead console to do so. (The overhead console is much stronger WITH the cubby than without it, by he way.) And the best part is that if you care to go back to an OEM look up there, the overhead consoles are usually pretty cheap on ebay.

As for the antenna wire, you can come down the driver's side A-pillar, as well (saves complexity and install time) or you could route the wire between the headliner and roof back to the driver's side B-pillar and come down that (usually a pain to deal with because of the torx bolts used for the seat belt mounts on ext cab and crew cab units).

You can exit the cab easily via the plug in the driver's side floor (at least there's one on NBS trucks) or via the cab vents found on the driver's side rear wall under the jute ... and route to your 48" antennae wherever. I favour the cab vent exit point because use of the floor plug on the driver's side means routing the antenna wire under the truck ... which exposes it to rocks/debris (unlike the cab vent exit) and necessitates wire loom to protect ity (unlike the cab vent exit).

A clean mount location for the 48" antennae would be the front-most stake pockets of the bed?

or what he said. i might have to have him wire up some stuff for me.....

Alex

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

Quote Originally Posted by Sierraowner5.3 View Post
    i would put it under the dash to be honest. self tappers into the underside of the dash below the radio someplace. then its easily removeable if you want and easy to access.

Alex
    This was my first idea due to the simplicity of the install and how fast it could be completed. I do want it to look neatly done, almost as if a shop had done it however. Not to say that this would look tacky at all but i am very "finnicky" about my vehicles if you know what i mean.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    I'd put it in the mini overhead console if its measurements showed that it'd fit in terms of LxWxD. It's largely dead space, up there, and it's nice to put it to good use. It's easily accessed and visible space, and that console comes down with exactly one screw and two pop-in pressure points (at least that's how it is on the NBS trucks).

Also, you don't have to tear your dash apart to do the install ... just remove the overhead console and driver's side a-pillar cover. You'll need to pull a power and ground lead up from the in-cab fuse box. A ground can easily be made there ... and tapping the +12v IGN 10amp fuse (at least that's what it is in NBS trucks) is a cakewalk, there, as well.

The cubby is held in place by some melted plastic rivets, so if you remove it from the overhead console then you won't be replacing it easily. Given this, you'd be better off milling the molded cubby hole to allow the unit to fit as you want it to, as the cubby will provide some structure/support for the unit (since you'll mill it to your needs) rather than relying only on the shell of the overhead console to do so. (The overhead console is much stronger WITH the cubby than without it, by he way.) And the best part is that if you care to go back to an OEM look up there, the overhead consoles are usually pretty cheap on ebay.

As for the antenna wire, you can come down the driver's side A-pillar, as well (saves complexity and install time) or you could route the wire between the headliner and roof back to the driver's side B-pillar and come down that (usually a pain to deal with because of the torx bolts used for the seat belt mounts on ext cab and crew cab units).

You can exit the cab easily via the plug in the driver's side floor (at least there's one on NBS trucks) or via the cab vents found on the driver's side rear wall under the jute ... and route to your 48" antennae wherever. I favour the cab vent exit point because use of the floor plug on the driver's side means routing the antenna wire under the truck ... which exposes it to rocks/debris (unlike the cab vent exit) and necessitates wire loom to protect ity (unlike the cab vent exit).

A clean mount location for the 48" antennae would be the front-most stake pockets of the bed?
    When you say NBS I'm assuming you're referring to the 99-06 models, aka GMT-800, this is what I have.
    The Mirror mounts i found are the ones for 18 wheeler style mirrors, or the older 80's model( or OOBS lol) tow mirrors. Theyre essentially a flat plate of aluminum with 4 holes attatching it to another plate essentially making a clamp to attatch to the chrome mirror support rods. I'm going to remove the second plate and use the bent plate that the antennas attatch to and utilize the 4 bolts and bolt them directly to the sides of my tool box, pretty much right over the stake pockets as you suggested.

One question about mounting it in the Overhead is Is it possible to remove the black internal cubby from the tan external shell with out removing the external shell from its location? This way I can get the internal cubby on a bench or in a Bench vice to work on it.

P.S. I realize some trucks come with different color roof liners but on mine the roof is tan as is the over head and I'm simply trying to be as clear as I can as to the parts I'm referring to.

I'll run out to my truck Tomorrow Morning and take some measurements of the Overhead as well as the dash cubby underneath my CD player to see if fitment in either of these places is possible

Quote Originally Posted by barefoot greg View Post
    One question about mounting it in the Overhead is Is it possible to remove the black internal cubby from the tan external shell with out removing the external shell from its location? This way I can get the internal cubby on a bench or in a Bench vice to work on it.

P.S. I realize some trucks come with different color roof liners but on mine the roof is tan as is the over head and I'm simply trying to be as clear as I can as to the parts I'm referring to.
    The only way you could remove the black cubby from the overhead console without removing the overhead console, itself, would be to cut it out with an air saw or the like. i.e. It's not just clipped in there. As mentioned, before, plastic rivets (i.e. melted plastic) are used to secure it into place ... so if you take it out of the shell you've pretty much done so permanently.

Why wouldn't you want to take the overhead console down? It's a complete cakewalk to do it. There's one phillips screw in a recessed hole pointing directly upward into the roof; the hole is located above the dash. Remove the screw.

Once done take a body panel removal tool (usually vinyl or plastic) and slip it between the overhead console and headliner, move it close to the maplight on that side, and give it a solid yank (making sure to support the overhead console so it doesn't come down, completely ... since there's still wiring connected). This should dislodge the pressuure fitting from the roof. Do that for both sides, if necessary. (You can skip using a body panel removal tool and just use your hands if you're good at that sort of thing. I have small hands so I'm not...)

Don't sweat the terminology on it -- my truck had the exact same tan overhead console and cubby until last week; now it's sitting in a closet ... soon to be photographed and ebay'd.

ohh arritey i misunderstood, I originally thought you were saying that the Over head was riveted into place and that it was non removable not the insert, I understand what you meant now.

I like that location for all the ame reasons as already mentioned. I have a NNBS with the center jump seat. And under the jump seat is another storage compartment. I want to mount a cobra 75 wxst in there. Since it would not be used all the time the mic would kind of just hang out on the tranny hump when the CB would be needed.
    And as for my antenna mount I am going to do an antenna delete ala @SurrealOne for the car radio (which I don't use much since I listen to XM) and mount the CB antenna in its place. I want to do this so as to not "hillbilly" up the truck. Sorry for the terminology just not sure how else to explain it.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Quote Originally Posted by aloxdaddy99 View Post
    And as for my antenna mount I am going to do an antenna delete ala @SurrealOne for the car radio (which I don't use much since I listen to XM) and mount the CB antenna in its place. I want to do this so as to not "hillbilly" up the truck. Sorry for the terminology just not sure how else to explain it.
    My antenna is still there, it's just under the hood and mounted to a L-bracket that ultimately is screwed into the same point the antenna was before I did the mod.

Do you plan to keep your OEM antenna? If so it'll be an interesting twist on the antenna delete mod, as you'll be installing a second antenna, there.

i may have to do the antenna delete, and mount a cb there.

Alex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast