GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Issues with my '99 Suburban

I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban K2500 4x4 with the 5.7. I'm having an issue with the motor. While driving down the road in the speed range of 50 to 60 MPH there is a hesitation like it may be having fuel problems. It is not kicking any codes and I have had it in the shop twice and they can not find anything wrong with it. I have also done a major tune up and a BG intake clean with little to no results. It also has been cutting off while driving down the road or after a ideal and going to take off or a stop to reverse into my driveway. I know it is about to cut off because the radio will hesitate for a split second and will do so a few times. Which once it cuts of the radio and gauges act up and take a few minutes to reset before letting it start up again. Any help in the issue would be a great help. Thanks.

****Thread Moved****
    To The
    General Chevy/G.M. Tech

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

I would start with grounding and power wires. The gauges "acting up" would lead me to believe its a power problem, it could be as simple as a loose connection for the battery. You said you did a tuneup and intake cleaning, was this before the problems or a hopeful remedy to the problem?
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Yes the tune up was in hopes of fixing the problem! I have checked the battery, alt, battery cables! The issue with it dieing or stalling isn't every time I drive it! The Chevy dealer is trying to tell me it needs a valve job do to carbon built up on the vales onthe #5 cyc. valves! The motor IDE fine and starts up ok it at high way speeds that it wants to act up!

If it idles and drives fine at slow speeds but hesitates at higher speeds, then I would take the EGR valve off and clean it. Some guys take them off, turn them upside down and fill them with non chlorinated brake clean, then let them sit over night. Some guys fill them with WD40. I have never cleaned one. The gasket is around $4 at any parts store. If it is sticking that could cause your hesitation issue.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

Do you have a check engine light? Not that I want to agree with the dealership, but if you have an actual code for a misfire it very well could be. I had to have both my heads rebuilt a few years back because of a bad #3 valve that was not sealing because of build up. I didn't have any symptoms other then the misfire code that would not go away, so after a compression check and then having it scoped the problem was found
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

There has been no misfire codes! The only code that I have gotten was P1111 and P1122 which are showing a low voltage and a high voltage loss! I'm not sure if the battery cable being loose enough to turn a little would cause the motor it die or radio and gauges to act up! But I did find it and I secured it so we will see. I'm try to clean the egr valve now! Thanks for all the ideas and info from everyone!!!!!!

Jr. Mechanic

Check your battery voltage. and make sure your battery terminals are clean and tight. Loose battery cable will raise hell wit your electrical system and your truck will act all kinds of weird!
    '88 Jimmy 4X4
    5.3l L59/ 4L60E Tuned by Tad
    4" Lift 33" BFG. Custom Brush Guard, KCs, outside spare, Oil pan guard etc.