GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Question 1957 Chevy Stepvan

I would like to change the final drive gear ratio on a 1957 Chevy Stepvan. This van was used as a fire department command center and is geared so low that it will only do about 50 mph flat out. I like to do a little better than that... not that I'm looking to race the thing, but... Any help would be greatly appreciated. I know very little about the vehicle technically, and have not had much luck in finding basic specifications online. This unit has very low miles on a straight six. Manual trans... Is there just one axle type for these?

Thanks for your time and attention!

To The Club!!! Lets see some pictures of your van... dont see them that often. Im sure someone will be able to answer your questions. A lot of knowledgable people here..

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Sr. Mechanic

Yeah, what he said!!! Lets see some pics so we know what we have to work with! I'm sure with modern technology and cutting torches an welders, we can do anything!!!! "How fast you want to go depends on how much money you got to spend!"

I have a 1960 land rover that has the same "top speed". In my case the tires are a large factor. The tires on it now are much smaller than stock and was done to effectively gear it down without actually changing gears. I don't have much info on your vehicle but is it possible something similar was done to the step van?
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member