GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Is a ABS short common and how to fix it

I just recently had an issue with my ABS unit on my truck, the issue is that the electrical system was sending power to the ABS unit when it was not in use, even when the truck was turned off. I took it in to my mechanic and he suspected that the cable running from the electrical system was corroded and it just needed a cleaning. Upon further inspection he found that the ABS unit and wire were in prime condition and a electrical short was suspected. What I am wondering is. Is is a common problem? Is it easy to fix? and what is the general cost.

1999 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.3L

Legend

the ABS module has a relay. this relay passes about 60amps of current to test the abs on every start operation as part of the on board diagnostics. what can occur and is common is this relay gets burned up and the abs pump will continue to run. I would remove the abs 60amp ABS fuse see what happens.

Removing the fuse may cause the ABS light to come on. Although your brakes should work fine. I have heard of rust forming under the mount of the sensor causing it to incorrectly read the revolutions of the wheel also causing the ABS light to come on or even kicking in the anti-lock brakes prematurely.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Good suggestion @j cat, I suspect the relay contacts welded closed as well.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

I suggested the fuse removal as a troubleshooting aid not as a cure.

on the ABS failure lights and activation when operating engine running this is the wheel hubs rusted out[bearing seal ] or the ABS module needs replacing.

the relay and the hubs I would say cause most of the ABS failures with these vehicles.

with the vehicle OFF and the ABS pump on ///,the relay is highly suspect and a well known failure component .

Well I did that to remedy the problem, but its not a true fix. I was hoping for a full repair solution, but thank you for the help.

1999 Chevrolet Silverado LS 5.3L

Legend

well since thats done now get the abs module number and search online for a repair site. also you will find much help with the further troubleshooting and contacting these sites as to the repair costs and exactly what you must do to enable this much cheaper repair than OEM/dealership costs of over a thousand easy.

as to the fix . Most when the vehicle gets this old do remove the fuse and forget about it. most do not have the time or cash to fix. I would fix it . its your call your vehicle.