GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default stand alone voltage control and big 3 upgrade?

I have a 2005 yukon xl and am looking at doing a big 3 upgrade. My question is, there is a box on the negative battery cable of my truck. if I do the big 3, do I need to run the grounds thru this device? I think it is for the Stand alone Voltage Control, that is designed to adjust alternator output as needed and keep the battery charged at 80%. Will running the grounds away from this effect my truck's charging system?
    Last edited by Pikey; 02-01-2013 at 01:05 PM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

A photo might help. Usually there's a red plastic plastic splice box in the positive cable where the cables for the alternator, starter, and battery come together.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Jamm3r View Post
    A photo might help. Usually there's a red plastic plastic splice box in the positive cable where the cables for the alternator, starter, and battery come together.
    Here it is. On the other side it has GMSAVC written on it along with a part number. From the little research that I have done, it does not look like a good idea to go around it. As you can see there is not much room in the clamp for another wire. Maybe I will just clean the grounds for the battery. Then, install new grounds for the engine to frame and cab to frame. I just noticed in the pic how you can see the salt from the roads creeping from the wheel wells. Looks like it will be time for another engine detail soon!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0695.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	48841

@SurrealOne might know, his truck is just a year older than yours and he did a major electrical upgrade.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

The 2004 trucks that I looked at did not have it. Maybe his did. Guess we will find out

No box on my negative connection -- just the standard red plastic box on the positive connection.

Jr. Mechanic

That box does not connect to ground. It is only clamped to the ground cable. GM calls that box the Generator Battery Control Module. From what I gathered, it acts as a voltage regulator. If you are just looking for a ground, anywhere on your engine or chassis will do.
    '88 Jimmy 4X4
    5.3l L59/ 4L60E Tuned by Tad
    4" Lift 33" BFG. Custom Brush Guard, KCs, outside spare, Oil pan guard etc.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

What are you doing that you need the Big 3?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by Toymyster View Post
    That box does not connect to ground. It is only clamped to the ground cable. GM calls that box the Generator Battery Control Module. From what I gathered, it acts as a voltage regulator. If you are just looking for a ground, anywhere on your engine or chassis will do.
    I never said that it was connected to ground. My post clearly states that it is clamped around the wire. I am concerned that if I run the big three and basically bypass the module then I am not going to have the correct alternator output.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enkeiavalanche View Post
    What are you doing that you need the Big 3?
    I want to do it because I have some future mods in mind. I also get some severe dimming of lights when I roll the windows up. The battery and alternator are brand new.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by