GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 99 2500 trans problem

Hi yall , I just bought a 99 2500 with the 6.0 motor,,auto trans with the tow/haul feature,,. going down the road the torque converter
    is only locking up once in a while,, is there a light that is suppose to come on when it is in tow/haul mode,, not sure what is going on with this trans as i've not had one like this before,, truck has 210000 on it,,what should i look for,,,thanks for any help,,Rhonda

Legend

if you operate with the tow haul mode on the dash ligh will tell you this. when in this mode the transmission will have delayed up shifts rpms will go higher and the shift will be harsh.

since you just purchased this I would replace all the drive train fluids. trans/transfercase/front//rear diff.

removal of the trans pan and clean pan replace filter. rear diff remove cover clean box/magnet and replace gear oils.

thanks J cat,, the light is not comming on on the dash when i push the botton, just bought the truck friday,so havent had time to check fuses or really anything ,,drove it to a swqp meet about 100 miles one way yesterday is first time ive had out on the road for any distance,, but the light is not comming on in the dash. thanks Rhonda

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda36301 View Post
    thanks J cat,, the light is not comming on on the dash when i push the botton, just bought the truck friday,so havent had time to check fuses or really anything ,,drove it to a swqp meet about 100 miles one way yesterday is first time ive had out on the road for any distance,, but the light is not comming on in the dash. thanks Rhonda

Rhonda.....What Most likely Happen is that the Wire that runs down the Shifter and where it meets the Steering Column, down at the Base, has over-time has got Pinched and finally Broke.....this is Why the Tow/Haul light is not coming on, when you press the Button,

Here's a pic of the Offending Wire:

To fix it.....just located the Break in the Wire, and you can either, Crimp Splice or Solder it back together and you should be good to Go.

Last edited by 99'HEARTBEAT; 02-03-2013 at 09:53 AM.

MIKE

99"SILVERADO
    5.3 l 3.73 l G80
    BLACK BEAR CUSTOM TUNE
    SNUGTOP l COLORMATCH l KATZKIN

Legend

this light not coming on is most always because the wire in the shift handle was cut too short. the conductor then breaks usually at the base where the pivot / rubber boot is.

the picture given here gives you a good look at the set up.

If GM made that wire 1/4 in longer this would never occur.

the wire is the orange one.

ok i will check for a broken wire,,,my main consern is ,,the tourqe convertor is not locking up all the time,, it will once in a wile, but not like it should durning normal driveing,,the trans sifts fine in all gears,, but the convertor only locks up once in a while,,no slippage thanks again for any ideas

- - - Updated - - -

ok,,,i don't know if it make a difference,,,but my truck is a 2000,,not a 99