GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jr. Apprentice

Default P0171, P0174, P0420.. Help!!

Hey everybody,
    I have a 2000 Silverado 5.3 with the codes P0171, P0174, P0420. I am completely stumped right now. My mechanic replaced the intake manifold gasket, which was blown, as well as the MAF. I know P0420 is catalytic converter but here's the thing. The truck, after having all that replaced still wants to stall in the garage and whenever I try to take it over 2000rpm is acts likes its dying. I also ended up replacing my EGR valve and cleaning the IAC and nope, still runs like crap. But the real kicker to me is that the stalling and everything is intermittent. I also believe it does it more when the tank is less than half. It the original fuel pump with 193,000 mi on it. So I'm not sure. I read that the catalytic converter could cause it to stall, but would that be intermittent? Someone help! I'm not sure where to go now. I don't have a tool to test the fuel pressure and I'm not sure that I want to take it back to the mechanic since he didn't fix it the first time.
    My next question is what is the average reading from a MAF? I bought a scan tool with live data and it generally pulls 3.6-7.8gr/s. I also changed the PCV and inspected all hoses.

Thanks!

check for a vacuum leak around the intake. with the engine running do you hear any hissing or anything that could be a leak? theres a few hoses that run to the intake that if not hooked up properly (and will need to be removed to do intake gaskets) will cause a poor running condition. place to start. your 420 code means the cats not working properly (nothing to do with exhaust flow). with yoru scan tool you ahve, monitor sensor one and sensor two (forget which bank the 420 code is for, i almost think its bank 1), and you should see sensor one voltage going high and low very quick. sensor 2 should NOT be doing this and should have a smooth consistent voltage. if your tool does graphs that would be slick for looking at that.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Legend

your codes indicate a lean condition since the intake was repaired it could be he screwed up. also the fuel pump pressures could be low . engine on 57 psi is what is good . spec is 53-60psi . key on engine off should be 60-62psi steady and not droping.

did the coolant get into the combustion chamber/crankcase ? if yes then the O2 sensors get damaged. the upstream sensors are the controlling sensors. the downstream sensor just are for feed back and cat converter operation checks.

Do a fuel pressure and flow test. 190k on a dephi pump is unheard of. My guess is a fuel prob after the intake work. Also the intake can warp and the ne gaskets would not cure the air leak. Post the engine off, running and driving fuel pressures and whether or not it dropped during the flow test.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for the responses. My dad is gonna drive it around tomorrow to a couple of places to get it re looked at. I'll be driving a new Hyundai Tucson lol. A lot different than ours! I looked at the scanner today and all the O2 sensors are reading like they should, we replaced all 4 amonth ago. The STFTM1 and 2 were fluctuating between -3&3 while the LTFTM1 and 2 were around 23. Is it possible the fuel pump could cause a lean code? And yeah 193k is lucky I guess! Just changed the brakes 30k miles ago, original too! This is the first problem we've had with the truck and would love to keep driving it. I drove home from work tonight and it was fine if I kept it under 2000rpm. If I go above, it feels like its boggin down. I can't do the pressure test because I don't have the gauge.

Rent a gauge from az or advance. A lean code means there is too much air(oxygen) then normal
    in the system. This can be caused by adding air ( leaks, bad sensors, etc) or taking away fuel. Since it seems to act up under a load i think its not getting enough fuel. A vacuum leak would show most at idle not at 2k rpm.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Check your exhaust manifold gaskets, we had a blown gasket on one of our headers, and it took the Bank 1 STFT and pegged them out at 37. If you are driving it like that, you will for sure foul some plugs, AC Delco's do not do well once they get fouled.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Jr. Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by shibby2oo8 View Post
    Do a fuel pressure and flow test. 190k on a dephi pump is unheard of. My guess is a fuel prob after the intake work. Also the intake can warp and the ne gaskets would not cure the air leak. Post the engine off, running and driving fuel pressures and whether or not it dropped during the flow test.
    Well, had a smoke test done today, intake is still leaking. The shop is gonna look at it tomorrowfor free since they said the gasket would fix everything. also fuel pump too:/ my pump was running 39psi at idle..

Quote Originally Posted by nmartin4149 View Post
    Well, had a smoke test done today, intake is still leaking. The shop is gonna look at it tomorrowfor free since they said the gasket would fix everything. also fuel pump too:/ my pump was running 39psi at idle..
    Well I would say that you were getting a two sided problem. too much air and too little fuel. hopefully it will get fixed this time.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

sorry to hear that all my guesses were correct. multiple failures . hopefully they will fix it properly .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast