GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default clunk when shifting into reverse

I have an 01 Silverado LS 1500 4X4 with the 5.3L and 4l80e combination. Every time I shift it into reverse it makes a clunking noise. I replaced the u joints on the front drive shaft because there was some play. No difference. Rear drive shaft is fine. I do have quite a bit of play in the rear end but I watched under the truck as a friend shifted it back and forth there was no movement. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by newcheylover; 02-03-2013 at 02:44 PM.

the noise you describe is quite common on these trucks especially with higher millage. however without hearing the noise its hard to say if its an abnormal noise or not. make sure all your fluids are at proper level (diff(s) and transfer-case), and if its a quiet clunk then i wouldnt worry too much about it.

possible causes include but arnt limited to the transfer case chain taking up slack and play in the diff as you already know. chances are good that the noise is not an indicator of immediate failure. if it ends up being gear lash in the rear diff due to wear, your only going to be able to fix it by replacing the ring and pinion which probably you would rather deal with the noise then the cost of replacement. if the transfercase is making the noise and you DONT hear chain slap going down the road then i wont worry about that either. just my opinion.

see if the noise changes in 4wd and 2wd and like i said, also check your fluid levels.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Also check the slip joint in the rear driveshaft, if it isn't properly lubricated it'll make a rather loud clunk.
    There was a TSB out for certain year trucks a while back to get rid of clunking in the driveshaft, they replaced the slip-joint with one that if I remember had a higher nickle content in the metal.
    Most times you can lessen the clunk by pumping grease into the zerk fitting until it starts oozing out the slip-joint seal.

I guess its more of a squeaky clunk if that makes sense. Is there any way to not have the grease spray every were after you regrease it? I always wipe everything down as good as I can but it always sprays it all over the body and frame.