GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Help with Tire Choice - Cooper or Michelin

Hello Suburbanites,

I'm needing to replace the tires on my 04 C1500 Suburban. Size 265/70R17. 2wd. Mostly in town driving. Very little off road. Occasionally pull a pop-up camper, but have plans for a larger camper within 2 years.

I've narrowed my choices to two tires. Please let me know if you have any advice:

Cooper Discoverer HT - LT 265/70R-17/E1 121R. Light truck tire. E Rated. Total price out the door. $808.

Michelin LTX MS2 - P265/70R17 113T. Passenger tire, but plenty of load rating for my use. Total price $1051.

I know that the Michelin is a great tire, but I'm not sure I can make myself pay $1051 for a set of tires. I'd love to hear some great stories about the Cooper, but mainly I want honest opinions.

Thanks.

I have Michelin tires though for reasons of offroad traction I have the LTX AT2 rather then the LTX MS2, in the summer, and the LTX Winter in the winter.

You are correct that you do not need Load Range E tires. They are heavier which will make the ride worse because that increases the unsprung weight.

I believe that the Michelin tire is a better tire than the Cooper, with improvements in treadwear and traction. Michelin consistently rates higher on independent tests, from Consumer Reports, Car & Driver, and other sources who claim they are making objective measurements.

With tires, like brakes, when you need them you need them. Some kid runs in front of your truck and a 10' difference in stopping distance maybe makes the difference between a head-shaking story over supper, and all afternoon filling out forms plus two weeks of recurring nightmares. I spent the money.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Thanks Jamm3r. That AT2 is a good looking tire. Does it make very much road noise? And how are it's street manners?

Blog Entries

had Michelins a few years back....overpriced??? maybe, but they were the
    best road/touring tires I have ever bought out of about
    7 or 8 sets over the years.....Brian from Canada
    Silverado Crew.....4.8 L

---Pendaliner BoxLiner and Side Rails....Van and Truck World
    ---Reese Adjustable Step Down Trailer Hitch....Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome eyebrow Mirror Covers.... Van and Truck World
    ---PUTCO chrome Bowtie 3rd Brake Light Cover....Van and Truck World
    ---DeeZee TailGate Assist ....Van and Truck World ( now Action Car and Truck Accessories )

---Westin Series side steps....Apple Auto Glass
    ---TRIFOLD rear soft Tonneau....Apple Auto Glass

---Chevrolet Bowtie Mudflaps...GM Dealer
    ---GM Rear Wheel Well liners...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Black Tow Hooks w Hloks
    ---GM Chrome Tailgate Handle/matching key-lock....GM Dealer
    ---GM Driver Information Center Upgrade...GM Dealer
    ---GM Front Tinted Bug Deflector...GM Dealer
    ---GM Chrome Door Handles....GM Dealer

---Better Built rear hitch step .... Lowe's !!!
    ---AVS Window VentVisors...Canadian Tire
    ---AVS tinted License plate covers....Wal-Mart

Quote Originally Posted by IWannaGoFishin View Post
    Thanks Jamm3r. That AT2 is a good looking tire. Does it make very much road noise? And how are it's street manners?
    It's hard for me to tell. It's certainly an improvement on noise and manners over the Toyo Open Country tires it replaced but I think much of that was size (the Toyos were oversized while I have stock sized Michelins) and age (older tires being usually louder). The AT2 has poor winter traction but that's not what I run them for.

Well, I bought the.Michelins. actually bought the Radial X LT2. Bought them at Costco. They look good and the truck drives great.