GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2001 Suburban soft brake pedal compared to 2011 Silverado

Is there anything I can do to improve the brake pedal feel on my 2001 Suburban. It has been like this since new. The pedal is mushy and is not as good as the Silverado. Any reason why?
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

Quote Originally Posted by bazar01 View Post
    Is there anything I can do to improve the brake pedal feel on my 2001 Suburban. It has been like this since new. The pedal is mushy and is not as good as the Silverado. Any reason why?
    You could change out any rubber brake hoses with braided steel lines. That would firm up the pedal some. But, that is just how the brake in these trucks are. Like you said it has been that way since you bought it.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    You could change out any rubber brake hoses with braided steel lines. That would firm up the pedal some. But, that is just how the brake in these trucks are. Like you said it has been that way since you bought it.
    The wife drives the burb and she started complaining when she drove the truck.

I started reading up online and it looks like it is a very common issue with Suburbans of this model year.

Things I plan to do.
    1. Bleed first and see if there is any improvement, but I doubt it.
    2. Research on proportioning valve details. Is this something that is adjustable? I would like to increase the rear bias a little since the burb is heavier in the rear compared to trucks with just the beds.
    3. Replace front brake pads with something better.
    4. Replace the front rubber brake hose with SS braided hoses.

Anything else I can do without breaking the bank? Thanks