GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default synthetic or traditonal motor oil?

My brand new 5.3 has 500 miles on it now . I know it dosnt say anywhere to change so soon but I'm an old gearhead so I figured it cant hurt. I'm not realy familer with pros and cons
    of synthetics, and I've heard tails of once you use either one you should keep using the same. Im sure this has been disscused but couldn't find it in search area. thanks for any help.

Nick

Blog Entries

I waited till my engine was broken in before I started using synthetic. All the techs I spoke to about changing oils said that once you switch over your engine will wear very slowly. This good of course but if you havenn't broken it in, there is a danger that it won't break in right. I swithed with about 15,000 kms on my 5.3.

"I'm not mean... your just a sissy"

Jason
    CURRENT
    '04 silverado 1500 2wd 5.3 (47,000K) - baby
    '97 serria 4x4 2500 454 (121,000K) - beast
    '07 saturn vue V6 (17,000K) - wife's
    '93 ck3500 4x4 6.5 desiel (300+ adding every day)
    - best of all. I don't pay for it!!!

PREVIOUS
    '04 colarado Z71 3.5 (should have been yellow. complete lemon!)
    '91 serria 2500 2wd 454 (sold at 320,000) - tank

here is a couple of threads where it has been talked about allready

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t=royal+purple

you should be able to get the info you need from those

as far as my opinion goes i am on the side of waiting for the major break in to be complete i.e 8-10,000 miles then change to a synthetic with a high quality filter and you are good to go. once changing to synthetic you will not need to change your oil at the 3000 mile intervals anymore...you will be able to extend that to at least 5000 and i personal have gone 10,000 miles on an oil change. after that oil change i sent the oil in for analisys and was still in a good range of lubrication with minimal wear. I use Amsoil over the royal purple since my family has a dealer account although before amsoil i used the mobil1 fully synthetic oil with no problems. although with the mobil1 you will need to read the label now adays to make sure it is indeed fully synthetic; apperantly they changed there rating table and have started adding regular oil to there "fully synthetic" label.

hope that helps and good luck
    Rob

2001 Mitsubishi Galant R.I.P
    2007 Chevy Silverado
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer

I look at it like this the Corvettes and all turbo engine cars require synthetic even from day one. So I would say change it as soon as you can I made them change the oil in my silverado to Mobil 1 before I would even take it for a test drive of course the dealership made me put a deposit on the truck! I will never run anything other than mobil 1 fully synthetic! I run mobil 1 ATF, Valvoline fully synthetic 75W90 for my rear diff and 75W140 (I think) for my front diff. Some say Royal Purple is the better choice but I have done great with Mobil 1 and know lots of people that run it. In my opinion the sooner you change it the better. However they do say once you have switched to full synthetic you need to stay with it. I also still change my oil every 3K and it still looks new when I change it out.
    Last edited by bostic8; 03-07-2008 at 09:49 AM.

I switched to Royal Purple from Mobil 1 on my last oil change and notice my rpms @ idle droped to 500 from 650. I figure it is a little "slicker" than the Mobile 1, but that's just me. I bought a new motor home with the 8.1 gas engine and the manufacturer recommends not going with the synthetic until at least 15000 miles (break-in, I guelss). Good luck!

2010 Z/71 Colorado C/C
    Black 4X4 w/5.3L V8
    ===============
    2007 Winnebago Adventurer
    w/8.1L Chevy & Allison 6spd.
    Canyon Lake, Texas

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to spending much time on here reserching future mods and hopfully lending a hand with my 25+ years of CHEVY ownership.
    Thanks again, Nick

I have heard alot about Royal Purple oils, do they work as well as everyone says? Are they better than Mobil1? and does anyone know where I can find it up here in Canada?
    Ken Beida
    2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4, 5.3L
    2009 GMC Sierra Denali, 6.2L = 403hp, AWD, Full load

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gmcsuvguy View Post
    I have heard alot about Royal Purple oils, do they work as well as everyone says? Are they better than Mobil1? and does anyone know where I can find it up here in Canada?
    I'm looking into Royal Purple myself. I'll let you know if I come across it.

I use Amsoil in mine, seems to work just fine, especially with the stop and go driving I do.
    Matt
    Wichita Falls, TX
    2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 Classic LS 4x4, 4.8L
    Thrush Welded muffler, dual exhaust
    HELO MAXX6 18" Rims, Torza Tri Fold tonneau cover :glasses:

Any Oil is good oil as long as you CHANGE IT!
    As far as the synthetics go....THE REASON vettes and turbo cars recomend it from the factory is..HEAT!
    The vette doesnt have an engine oil cooler....No room
    Royal and castrol are ranked at the top..................MOB 1....Id rather use reg, multi vis oil and save the$$ Its ok..but just enough to handle allittle more heat for 3k miles.
    If ya trust the claims that you can change your oils at extended intervals. Run it. Save your reciepts.
    I know of no one that claims better MPG due to SLICKER?? oil.
    FYI guys! If your running a 07+ diesel....You NEED to run a low ash oil..Check your owners manual and stick to it.