GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well I might just wire in the 7 blade and be done with it. I'm undecided.

Thanks for the responses though. Now comes the hard part...actually wiring this up correctly. I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a tough task as I doubt all the wiring to the brakes is as it should be.
    WAR EAGLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by E_HILLMAN View Post
    Why not instead of splicing in a 4 wire into your new wiring just buy a 7pin to 4 pin adapter and keep it with the trailer. That way if someone has 4 pin they just pop the adapter on.
    I agree with this 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by E_HILLMAN View Post
    Yep, definitely electric

Why not instead of splicing in a 4 wire into your new wiring just buy a 7pin to 4 pin adapter and keep it with the trailer. That way if someone has 4 pin they just pop the adapter on.
    This was my thought as well.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Former Member

Because it won't work...

You're going from trailer to truck, not truck to trailer...he would need to make a custom adapter. All the adapters I have ever seen sold plug into a 7-way receptacle to give you a 4-way receptacle, he needs to go from a 7-way plug to a 4-way plug. You likely won't find a manufactured adapter because it would pose a safety issue by allowing someone to circumvent the need for electric brakes.

Even if they don't make them it would be better to make one than to have a 4 wire splice running out of the wiring just dragging along.

However...

It appears they do make them
    http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/30717.html
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...7+Wire+Adaptor
    Buy Made in USA, The job you save just might be your own.

There's no good reason to put 2 trailer connectors on the trailer. The 6 or 7 way blade connector is the proper connector for that trailer, plain and simple. If something happened that involved the authorities or insurance and they found a 4 way on that trailer with trailer brakes on the axle, you're at fault for not using the brakes.
    Christopher

1991 Chevy Suburban 1/2 ton 2WD w/ chevy SBC 350-3/4 ton drivetrain upgrade w/4.10 gears 200K miles
    2005 Saturn ION-2 Stock 277K miles
    1982 Bronco, 1993 Bronco (sold), 1971 M35A2 Deuce and a Half

There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who dont...

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down- Adam Savage

My truck had OEM wiring harness for brakes in a four pin set up for surge brakes, because my boat trailer has surge brakes, and my utility trailer is electric. I added an electric brake controller and therefore now have both plugs. But your situation is a little more complicated since you started with the 7 pin set up.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12