GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2013 silverado Z71 shock question

Hello all.

Just purchased a 2013 1500 Silverado 4WD EXT CAB LT. One of the options is the Z71 off road suspension package. It says off road skid plates, high capacity air cleaner. I thought the Z71 would have Rancho shocks as the 2013 sales book describes. Supposedly I have gas shocks on the truck but not the Rancho shocks. Thought they all had the Rancho shocks with the Z71 off road suspension. Any ideas.

Thanks
    Marty

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Used to be Bilsteins I do think they are a Rancho now.. I changed mine back to Bilsteins..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

all my vehicles have bilsteins OEM SHOCKS DON'T last for me.

Bilsteins give a good solid ride last a very long time.

Haven't heard about the ranchos but my 01 has bilstiens OEM.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

I have a 2011 Extended Cab LT 4X4 with the Z71 offroad suspension package but NOT the Z71 appearance package...and I have gas shocks with no fancy markings. It was explained to me that the fancy shocks (Rancho?) come with the Z71 appearance package, not the offroad package.

Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

Fenian , It appears that you are right. Went back to the dealer today and looked under a lot of trucks. Everyone that said Z71 suspension package, had the same black shocks that my truck came with. Found one truck that not only said Z71 suspension package but also said Z71 appearance package. That truck had the Rancho shocks, painted mirrors, chrome tow hooks. Commons sense would make one think the Rancho shocks would be part of a suspension package. But they don't.

Marty

marty, the fact that they are part of the "appearance package" should tell you something. They are not better, just better looking, which is probably why some people get them.

Sr. Apprentice

Of course ,beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Frankly I think the white and red lettered shocks look tacky. If colors were optional white and red would be at the bottom of my list. But hey ,it's a shock absorber.
    2012 silver ice metallic Silverado CC 4X4 /6.2L / 373/9.5" rear max trailering package/ 18" Z71 rims with 285/65/18 BFG TA/KO Ebony leather interior / 2011 grill insert with black mesh/rear fender liners and bed rail protectors/ Z71 skid plates/GM bed mat/2" billet aluminum under strut front leveling kit

Quote Originally Posted by martym View Post
    Fenian , It appears that you are right. Went back to the dealer today and looked under a lot of trucks. Everyone that said Z71 suspension package, had the same black shocks that my truck came with. Found one truck that not only said Z71 suspension package but also said Z71 appearance package. That truck had the Rancho shocks, painted mirrors, chrome tow hooks. Commons sense would make one think the Rancho shocks would be part of a suspension package. But they don't.

Marty
    sounds like we have the same truck.. i too was confused when the dealer told me i had rancho's but when i looked underneath they were infact black like you say..not sure which are better but mine seem to ride fine. what worries me is he may have told me they were ranchos to suggest they were the better of the two to sweeten the deal.. did you find out any more info on the black shocks?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

On my 08 Avalanche Z71 it had the Rancho's and this is what they looked like after about 95KClick image for larger version. 

Name:	shocks8.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	58126Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shocks15.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	58127