GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Dealer Supplied Synthetic Blend Oil

I recently had my 07 Sierra serviced at the dealer where I bought it. I was told the dealers are now using only synthetic blend of oil for oil changes. The service tech could not tell me what the blend was other than being 5w-30 Dexos. Two (2) email later to the dealer and all I got back was a song and dance about the service they provide, etc. but no answer on what the blend of oil. I contacted the GMC Customer Assistnace Center and was unable to get an answer. I was told they would have to research it. All I want to know is what is the blend (%) of synthetic oil to regular oil. Can you help?
    Last edited by Goldie; 02-04-2013 at 05:51 PM. Reason: mispelling

Quote Originally Posted by goldie View Post
    All I want to know is what is the blend (%) of synthetic oil to regular oil. Can you help?
    I suggest you will have a hard time locating that info.
    Here is the GM information, along with a list of approved 3rd party oils: http://www.gmdexos.com/home.html

I suspect the formula for each "mix" is proprietary information. Go with the full synthetic and avoid the worry.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Good info Ray. I guess I know why the GM tech center switch from mobile one to FUCHS. I have been running the fuchs TITAN Supersyn D1 SAE 5W-30 for the last few oil changes.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

I just switched from Castrol Edge to Royal Purple, I don't see RP on the list.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

what is funny is that less than 2 years ago GM was using royal purple at the tech center.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

@RayVoy -Thanks for the great information. I checked the site and was very pleased to see all the options for oil. I'm going to keep plugging away and if I get an answer will post here and any other thread anyone can suggest as being appropriate.

Well, the GMC Coustomer Assistance Center replied to me and the told me they could not find the information. I sent a message through the site RoyVoy supplied and they have not replied. And, of course, no reply from the GM Customer Service folk at this thread. I truly don't know what the big deal is about this oil.