GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Interesting find, kinson. Too bad the owner didn't finish it (no 4WD). It makes me wonder why it's for sale. I'm not buying the 'too anxious to get back on the road' commentary; you don't go through all of that work only to half-bake it at the end. Something just smells wrong...

You mean that stinky smell of flood cars still on the market from the east coast??? haha

I'm sure there are quite a few gremlins with that thing, Ford t-case, dodge tranny, and chevy motor... Unless you really know what you're doing, plenty of little things that can go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by kinson33 View Post
    I'm sure there are quite a few gremlins with that thing, Ford t-case, dodge tranny, and chevy motor... Unless you really know what you're doing, plenty of little things that can go wrong
    That's probably why it's being sold -- I bet he wants out from under the gremlins.

The Dodge tranny sounds good right? Well it is not all that good. The input shafts on those things are weak. My boss just had to replace his. When he had it apart in the shop I looked at the shaft. The factory shaft is "necked" or reduced down toward the splines. To repair that he got an aftermarket shaft that is straight the length of the shaft to remove the weak link from the tranny. why do I bring this up? Well if the HP number he quoted is true you will be replacing it in no time if you do any "playing" with the truck.
    I tend to agree with @SurrealOne about the reason for wanting to get out from under this beast. Having a driveshaft made takes no time and not all that expensive. How hard is it to cut a whole in the floor for a shifter. Little things like that would keep me away.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

That's why I would never buy a used car off the Internet. I want to go see the thing, drive it, have it looked over BEFORE I give the person some money.

This is the reason I buy new, I don't want anyone else's problems.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    This is the reason I buy new, I don't want anyone else's problems.
    You still get someone else's problems -- i.e. the factory's or, worse, the dealership's.

What do I mean by this? OEM bugs/problems, recalls, etc are the factory's problems. And as for the dealership ... those trucks they lift and put 33's or 35's on ... but don't regear the truck for? Yea, those are the dealership's problems.

Plainly put, the only way you won't get someone else's problems ... is to fabricate and build your own truck. I mean, very technically, even if you were to assemble the truck raw from parts, yourself, if you didn't make the parts then you STILL run the risk of getting someone else's problems...

My point? Avoiding someone else's problems isn't exactly a sane reason to buy new. Now if you buy new for the warranty, that's a different story ... but also consider you can get used trucks with warranties, too.

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    You still get someone else's problems -- i.e. the factory's or, worse, the dealership's.

What do I mean by this? OEM bugs/problems, recalls, etc are the factory's problems. And as for the dealership ... those trucks they lift and put 33's or 35's on ... but don't regear the truck for? Yea, those are the dealership's problems.

Plainly put, the only way you won't get someone else's problems ... is to fabricate and build your own truck. I mean, very technically, even if you were to assemble the truck raw from parts, yourself, if you didn't make the parts then you STILL run the risk of getting someone else's problems...

My point? Avoiding someone else's problems isn't exactly a sane reason to buy new. Now if you buy new for the warranty, that's a different story ... but also consider you can get used trucks with warranties, too.
    I don't have to worry about someone not changing the oil except when the oil light comes on and I've seen what some of my friends do to their cars.

No thanks.

There's a reason I drive a Chevy truck and not a Dodge. I certainly wouldn't buy a truck, even a custom build like this one, with any Dodge parts involved.
    Clint (TX) 2001 Silverado LS 4.8L auto 2wd ECSB [GARAGE]
    Gasoline or gunpowder: If you ain't burning one, you ain't having fun!
    NRA Endowment Member 5 24 48 88 - Hendrick Motorsports FTW!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12