GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2009 Sierra door lock problem

My 2009 1500 Sierra SLE 4WD driver side door lock does not work. The electric lock control will not work either door, nor does the key fob lock/unlock driver door. So I have to manually push down door lock and use key to unlock/open driver door. Passenger side works fine. Someone mentioned door actuator, can't seem to locate this part online for sale. Any suggestions?
    Alan - Memphis, TN
    2009 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Ext. Cab 4WD

Did you check fuses?

IP fuse panel, fuse #26
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Thanks for the suggestion, but the fuse was not the problem.

Probably built into the door latch, i have an 01 so i couldnt tell you. After googling some it looks to be part if the latch but you could take the door panel off and look.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

It sounds like a power problem, you said you checked the fuse, so maybe it's the wire providing power to the control module inside the door.
    Sometimes, the wires will break in the wire bundle going to the door. There is a lot of flex from the door opening, or closing.
    If nothing on the door works (windows, mirror, etc), it could be a broken ground wire.

Everything else on the door works, windows & mirrors. When I push the lock/unlock button it makes a buzzing noise, like it wants to work. The door lock moves @ 1/8". When using the passenger lock button it also moves slightly.

Ok, that's a mechanical problem. Pull the inside door panel and you should be able to see some of the linkage. Check with your fingers to see if there is any binding, it may just need a little lub.

In my 09 both of my lock actuators went bad last fall at separate times. I actually just installed two new actuators Monday of this week. I wish I had the part numbers but I do not, I called my local dealership and gave them the VIN and had them order the kit. I removed both door panels and swapped out the old for the new. Everything works perfect again (key fob, lock buttons and manual lock). It was quite the pain in the @$$ to get to but a fairly quick job. Just be prepared for busted knuckles. Cost me approx. $250 for both doors. I've read in a couple forums that this is a somewhat typical problem on the NNBS trucks.
    -Nick
    2013 Silverado 1500 4x4 LT, Z71 Appearance Package, Vortec 5.3L AFM
    Victory Red, Ebony Cloth
    Custom pin striping, Bed Rail Protectors, GM Bed Liner, Husky Liner Floor Liners, Tint, Wade In-Channel Window Visors, Tractor Supply Black Low Profile Toolbox

Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    My 2009 1500 Sierra SLE 4WD driver side door lock does not work. The electric lock control will not work either door, nor does the key fob lock/unlock driver door. So I have to manually push down door lock and use key to unlock/open driver door. Passenger side works fine. Someone mentioned door actuator, can't seem to locate this part online for sale. Any suggestions?
    if the passenger door locks / unlocks ok with the switch control but the driver door does not work then it is the wiring going to the actuator or the actuator. open the driver door panel and with meter measure the volts across the actuator when hiting the switch see if there is power going to the driverdoor actuator if the power is there when you hit switch and no action then you got a defective actuator.