GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Slide pin frozen in caliper 05 yukon xl

I took a look at my pads on the front of my yukon xl. They need replaced. The previous owner stripped the head out of the t55 torqs slide pin. I tried everything I could think of. Heat, not enough to melt the piston boots. I cut the head with a hacksaw and tried for 40 minutes to beat it with a 5 pound hammer and chisel attempting to get it to break loose. I disconnected the brake line and slid the caliper out and tried to heat it and turn the pin with a pair of vise grip. I used a large pair of channel locks to close the vise grips, so I thought that they had a good grip. But, they slipped right off. Any suggestions? I am picking up a new caliper tonight, but it would be nice not to pay $55 for a new one.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, another question that I would like to get thoughts on. I was thinking that a gravity bleed would suffice when I change the caliper as I don't have anyone to pump the brakes to help me bleed them. Thoughts?

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Jr. Mechanic

As much as you might hate it, your best bet is to replace calipers. Remember, with brakes, what you do to one side you need to do to the other. You will probably develope a brake pull if you replace just one caliper. Also, a gravity bleed is not enough, you need to bleed the brakes. There are "one man" brake bleeding kits and not expensive at all. Hope this helps.
    '88 Jimmy 4X4
    5.3l L59/ 4L60E Tuned by Tad
    4" Lift 33" BFG. Custom Brush Guard, KCs, outside spare, Oil pan guard etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Toymyster View Post
    As much as you might hate it, your best bet is to replace calipers. Remember, with brakes, what you do to one side you need to do to the other. You will probably develope a brake pull if you replace just one caliper. Also, a gravity bleed is not enough, you need to bleed the brakes. There are "one man" brake bleeding kits and not expensive at all. Hope this helps.
    Agreed, Kinda sucks having to do both, but probably best. I understand not wanting to spend much but also remember brakes are one thing you wanna make sure are working well otherwise you could have one of these moments .

Also they sell one man (I know not PC) bleeders as you will need that over gravity bleeding.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

I would replace both, but unfortunately this month that is not going to happen. If it developes a pull I will replace the other side asap. I will try to get a neighbor to help me bleed it tonight.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

You could get a vacume bleeder, they dont require an extra person to pump the brakes.
    I have a Mighty Mite that I use all the time for brake jobs, it's much easier than trying to find someone to pump the brakes for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tbplus10 View Post
    You could get a vacume bleeder, they dont require an extra person to pump the brakes.
    I have a Mighty Mite that I use all the time for brake jobs, it's much easier than trying to find someone to pump the brakes for me.
    I will be buying a harbor freight cheapy in the near future. I did a gravity bleed. Then, I talked my very pregnant and tired wife out to the garage. It was pretty easy once I said something about the boys' safety! Anyway, I got one or two small air bubbles the first time I cracked it open. After that I had no are during the next 10 tries. I took it for a ride and it is not pulling. I hope to replace the other caliper and the rotors pretty soon, I believe that the rotors are original because they still have the factory hold down washers on them. I have never seen new rotors come with them or anyone buy them to replace them. The truck has 140,000 miles on it.

1995 Silverado 4x4

2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

glad you got it all fixed up.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    NRA Life Member

Legend
    Blog Entries

I always replace the factory hold downs on the rotors, and no one else I know does either lol!! Check out the Russell speed bleeders, I replaced all of my bleeders with these. Summit Racing has them for $9.99 a set.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I always replace the factory hold downs on the rotors, and no one else I know does either lol!! Check out the Russell speed bleeders, I replaced all of my bleeders with these. Summit Racing has them for $9.99 a set.

Those look nice. I always drag my wife out there to pump brakes. My kids getting old enough to where I might have to start making her do it. Maybe I'll change them out with these and then still make them come out to do it, so I can just lay under there
    David
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    NRA Life Member