GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Daytime Running Lights Not Working

Recently, I've noticed that my lower lenses (turn signal) on my '05 Silverado are getting moisture in them. I'll be working on drying and sealing them to prevent that, but my question is about my lights.

One of my daytime running lights burnt out. I don't know if it was caused by the moisture or "natural causes", but I went ahead and bought 2 new bulbs to replace both since I figured the other might not be far behind. When I replaced the bulbs, I noticed the sockets were slightly blackened. Perhaps the moisture caused a short? Anyway, I went ahead and replaced both bulbs, but now neither of them are working. The bulbs I bought were the correct ones for my truck, according to the Sylvania website. The second one I replaced was working until I put the new bulb in it.

I guess my question is, do y'all think I need to replace those sockets? All other lights seem to be working fine. Is it possible the moisture in the lenses burnt out the bulb and ruined the sockets too? If so, I'll wait until I can seal them off (it's been raining quite a bit here, and I haven't been able to get them dried out enough to seal them up) to make sure the moisture doesn't short them out again.

All thoughts and recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Matt
    Hallsville, TX

2005 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 5.3L 2WD
    K&N FIPK II
    Magnaflow Exhaust
    Hypertech Max Energy Programmer
    Suspension Leveling Kit
    Putco Element Window Visors
    Carriage Works Billet Grille
    TruXedo TruXport Tonneau Cover

did you try reinstalling the one that was working? Make sure its seated properly and clean the connections. A little odd if it was working before switching lights as it shouldnt have killed the socket during the switch. The other way is to get a light probe and have the running lights on and poke the hot wire (or terminal) at the socket to make sure its getting juice to the socket.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Gm has had problems with sockets and the surges in the DRL's this is why you see a lot of GM's with only one working..But if you have a 12 volt tester check the wires first and then the socket..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Thanks for the replies! They seem to be working fine now. We had some dry days, and one day I noticed my truck's reflection in the car in front of me, and they were both on. Not sure what changed, but no issues now. I also took the opportunity while we weren't having rain to completely dry out the lenses and put a bead of silicone all the way around the seam and anywhere else it looked like moisture could get in. I also replaced my corner marker bulbs and turn signals. It rained this weekend, and I didn't see any moisture in the lenses so hopefully I'm good!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Remember they only go on when you are in Drive when you are parked they will go off Unless you have FTDRL Mod..

Yeah I thought about that, and I probably was looking at them in park at first, but then I checked them with it in drive, and they still weren't working. Oh well, guess I won't think too much on it. They are working fine, and the lenses look good as new.

Trying to think if they parking brake has to be off as well for them to work (but that could be my saturn).