GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by

Default LED Taillight Bulb Comparison - LUMEN LED

Well, I finally bit the bullet and completed my LED transformation. I now have replaced all of the standard halogen bulbs on my truck, to LED (excluding headlight, fogs).

The main reason I went with this option, is because I love the look of the "instant on - instant off" of LEDs. In addition, I really like the look of the stock chevy tail light and headlight housings, so I didn't want to go with after market LED housing units.

In the picture, it may appear that I turned the lighting down on the LED photo, but I believe it was just the camera adjusting. The pictures were taken at the same lighting level.

Results: The LED's are definitely brighter than the standard halogen. I'd say by about 35-50%. As you can see in the picture, the LEDs illimunate more of the chrome reflector inside the housing. I purchased these LUMEN LEDs from carid.com. They are the CANBUS style LEDs. I am very pleased with the results. The only downfall I suppose is that they are $14.99 per bulb, compared to $5.99 for two stand halogen bulbs. But, in the end I think its worth it.

I spent $182 alltogether on LED blubs (parking lamps(4), taillamps(4), third brake lights (4), reverse lights (2)), which probably wouldn't even have bought me one after market taillight LED housing.

The only problem that I have encountered is with the CANbus system. When I activate my turn signal, it flashes at a normal rate for about 3 flashes then speeds up as if there is a bulb missing. I am calling carid.com today to try and solve this issue. The whole point of the CANbus style LED is to prevent this from occuring, to my knowledge because it has the built in load resistor. If anyone has experienced this problem, please feel free to help.

Pros: Lower power draw, brighter, instant on/off, cheap upgrade compared to after market LED housings

Cons: Actaul cost per bulb is expensive when compared to halogen, CANbus error eliminating system isnt working properly with the turn signals(attempting to contact IT)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LED Taillights.jpg  
    2010 Chevy Silverado Z71 LTZ 4x4
    Sun Roof, Navigation, Rhino Bed, Rhino Under, PlastiDip Rear Bumper, PlastiDip Bow Ties, PlastiDip Running Boards, LED Taillights, LED Parking Lamps, LED Interior Dome, LED Turn Arrows, Back-up Camera, Tri-Fold Tonneau, HID 5000K Fogs, Lows

looks good man! noticibly brighter definetly going to look into doing that for my truck
    2007 Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 /Volant Intake/ Superchips Programmer/ Recon LED Tailights/ Rough Country Leveling Kit/ Rough Country 1.5" Body Lift/ Widowpeak 305/75/18s/ Trifecta Tri-fold Tonneau Cover/ Blue LED Interior Lights/ Kenwood 1000 Watt Amp/ 2 500 Watt Kicker 10" Subs

Thanks, I think it's worth it.

I'll try and get some more pictures of the entire rear and post them this weekend.

Wow those are bright. What did you use for the reverse? I had cree reverse bulbs but the led behind the projector kept going out. So I think I'll stick to smd style. Can you make a video to show the difference when your running lights are on VS stepping on the brakes?

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Keep us informed on the progress and new pics..
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Quote Originally Posted by 2k8z71 View Post
    Wow those are bright. What did you use for the reverse? I had cree reverse bulbs but the led behind the projector kept going out. So I think I'll stick to smd style. Can you make a video to show the difference when your running lights are on VS stepping on the brakes?
    I used the same style LED (LUMEN LED white), only the size that fit into the reverse socket. The reverse lights are satisfactory as well!

I will most certainly make a video and post more pics when I get a chance. Hopefully this weekend, depending on how much snow we get today and tomorrow!!

Thumbs up color of LEDS?

Quote Originally Posted by ffdsmokeeater View Post
    Well, I finally bit the bullet and completed my LED transformation. I now have replaced all of the standard halogen bulbs on my truck, to LED (excluding headlight, fogs).

The main reason I went with this option, is because I love the look of the "instant on - instant off" of LEDs. In addition, I really like the look of the stock chevy tail light and headlight housings, so I didn't want to go with after market LED housing units.

In the picture, it may appear that I turned the lighting down on the LED photo, but I believe it was just the camera adjusting. The pictures were taken at the same lighting level.

Results: The LED's are definitely brighter than the standard halogen. I'd say by about 35-50%. As you can see in the picture, the LEDs illimunate more of the chrome reflector inside the housing. I purchased these LUMEN LEDs from carid.com. They are the CANBUS style LEDs. I am very pleased with the results. The only downfall I suppose is that they are $14.99 per bulb, compared to $5.99 for two stand halogen bulbs. But, in the end I think its worth it.

I spent $182 alltogether on LED blubs (parking lamps(4), taillamps(4), third brake lights (4), reverse lights (2)), which probably wouldn't even have bought me one after market taillight LED housing.

The only problem that I have encountered is with the CANbus system. When I activate my turn signal, it flashes at a normal rate for about 3 flashes then speeds up as if there is a bulb missing. I am calling carid.com today to try and solve this issue. The whole point of the CANbus style LED is to prevent this from occuring, to my knowledge because it has the built in load resistor. If anyone has experienced this problem, please feel free to help.

Pros: Lower power draw, brighter, instant on/off, cheap upgrade compared to after market LED housings

Cons: Actaul cost per bulb is expensive when compared to halogen, CANbus error eliminating system isnt working properly with the turn signals(attempting to contact IT)
    i am also looking at the LUMEN LED Tail lamp bulbs, i was wondering if you bought red bulbs for your tail lamps (brake Lights)? Much Appreciated

Well, I have to say I am really interested in this new brand "Lumen".... I googled them and they make light bars and everything (Like Rigid), but their prices are almost 2/3 less than Rigid for light bars.

There has to be a catch somewhere, either build quality, life expectancy of the LED's or how bright the LED's are. If they are waterproof or not.

Don't load resistors get really hot? Thought they were supposed to be mounted to metal. How do they make them built in without damage due to heat? I also heard some recommend grounding it too.
    2011 Silverado 1500 TX Edition 5.3L V8

damn that looks sweet. i really want a set of these for my old '93.... its in that awkward not classic, but not- cool like Bob Seager ust to be- look
    so it needs some suttle upgrades... but $180 for bulbs is a lot of money...

and you say they dont 'blinker' well? did you ever get that resolved?
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

Page 1 of 2 12 Last Post byLast Post by