GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Need answer...how to remove original Z71 decal...is it clearcoated over?

Hi, guys,

i looked through the how-to and other sections on this, but only found answers regarding add-on stuff, like dealer badges, wind visors, etc. I want to replace my original z71 decals, but don't know if they were applied before the clearcoat, or after.

I know how to use a heat gun, fishing line, goof-off, etc, so can do that, if the decal is on top of clearcoat.

Thanks, all.

jim, las vegas

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    Hi, guys,

i looked through the how-to and other sections on this, but only found answers regarding add-on stuff, like dealer badges, wind visors, etc. I want to replace my original z71 decals, but don't know if they were applied before the clearcoat, or after.

I know how to use a heat gun, fishing line, goof-off, etc, so can do that, if the decal is on top of clearcoat.

Thanks, all.

jim, las vegas
    I would think the body has been painted already before the decals and mouldings were put on. I removed the rear bow tie on the tail gate this past weekend and it looks way better. I plan on removeing the bed decals and stickers this weekend.
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 25k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 176k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Should be after a little Heat Gun action should do it...
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

I have never tried this but they say a hair dryer will be good to loosen the adhesive. if this does work then the paint under the decal will not match.

I would have the decal replaced as oem. save some work. I am sure those decals are expensive .

I do have a heat gun but that is too much power ....I have used it to pop out those plastic bumpers ...

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    You should be good to go. Mine didn't need anything except a little heat and some pulling stretching of the decal while I worked. (i.e. No fishing line, no goof off, etc.) It was a LOT easier than debadging. Hopefully yours goes as well.

I had Mine removed and another replaced (Differant Color). It is not clear Coated over.
    Proud Husband and Father.....

As others have said they come off really easily, a hair dryer is all you need. There will be a little adhesive residue left but is comes off with minimal effort and some Goo-gone. Today's clear coat paints are pretty fade resistant so you should be fine. I removed my moldings and decals after 6 years and there was no fade.

Adam

Thanks, all. I got the answers I needed. I am going to remove the original, and replace with a body-colored, slightly different version. Thanks, again.

jim