GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Problem programming Remote Key Fobs

I performed several searches, but could not find my answer. Hope someone can help.

Just bought a 2004 Suburban LS. Has remote keyless entry and came with 1 remote that works. I ordered 2 more from an internet remote site. It came with the following instructions.
    1) Close all doors, insert key into ignition, but don't turn it.
    2) Hold the unlock button on the drivers side door. Do not release until instructed to do so in Step 4.
    3) Quickly turn ignition from ON to Off twice. (On, Off, On, Off) Do not start the car.
    4) Release the unlock button. The locks will cycle from lock to unlock signaling that the vehicle has entered Programming mode.
    5) Press and hold the Lock and Unlock button at the same time on the first remote. Hold the buttons down until the vehicle responds by locking and unlocking the doors. Repeat this step for additional remotes.
    6) Turn the key to the On position to exit the programming mode.

This doesn't work for me. Remotes are not programming. There is a footnote on Step #4 that states if the locks cycle before you release the unlock button the programming will not work because you are not in the programming mode. It suggests that you repeat steps 1-4, and if this doesn't work you probably have a problem with the vehicles keyless entry system.

These are pretty common instructions for seveal GM vehicles so I hope that someone else has encountered this.

Thanks.

IWannaGoFishin,

Were you able to get the remotes programmed? I'm having the same problem on a 2005 Suburban - the door locks cycle before I release the unlock button.

I wonder if changes to other Driver Information Center (DIC) settings might adversely affect the key fob programming. Does anybody out there have any comments?

For those of you that have programmed key fobs were you able to follow the instructions above?

Thanks

Has anyone heard of (or experienced) the problem above? The original poster and I both experienced the same problem. The doors lock/unlock out of sequence when following the programming instructions.

What should I do? Is the dealer the only answer? Is there a problem with my Keyless Entry System? If so, how do I fix it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IWannaGoFishin View Post
    I performed several searches, but could not find my answer. Hope someone can help.

Just bought a 2004 Suburban LS. Has remote keyless entry and came with 1 remote that works. I ordered 2 more from an internet remote site. It came with the following instructions.
    1) Close all doors, insert key into ignition, but don't turn it.
    2) Hold the unlock button on the drivers side door. Do not release until instructed to do so in Step 4.
    3) Quickly turn ignition from ON to Off twice. (On, Off, On, Off) Do not start the car.
    4) Release the unlock button. The locks will cycle from lock to unlock signaling that the vehicle has entered Programming mode.
    5) Press and hold the Lock and Unlock button at the same time on the first remote. Hold the buttons down until the vehicle responds by locking and unlocking the doors. Repeat this step for additional remotes.
    6) Turn the key to the On position to exit the programming mode.

This doesn't work for me. Remotes are not programming. There is a footnote on Step #4 that states if the locks cycle before you release the unlock button the programming will not work because you are not in the programming mode. It suggests that you repeat steps 1-4, and if this doesn't work you probably have a problem with the vehicles keyless entry system.

These are pretty common instructions for seveal GM vehicles so I hope that someone else has encountered this.

Thanks.
    Here's what I found for my 2005 Suburban. In step 3 above the sequence is not On to OFF twice (ON-OFF-ON-OFF)

The correct sequence for my car and I suspect all similar vehicles is RUN-ACCY-RUN-ACCY. Most people think of RUN and ON as the same thing. Okay, I'll accept that. But OFF and ACCY are two entirely different positions.

Look at your late model GM owner manual - I suspect you'll find the steering wheel ignition has four positions: OFF, ACCY, RUN, START.

There is also a problem with step 4 above IMO. The locks cycle lock-unlock while my finger is still on the unlock button. Releasing the unlock button is critical to complete the steps to enter programming mode. However, the lock-unlock sequence occurs while my finger is still on the unlock button.

I confirmed my operation is the same as at least one other vehicle - a 2003 Tahoe. So I think I'm on the right track.

I don't know why so many web sites and forums continue to perpetuate the instructions above if there are some vehicles that don't respond in that manner. I suspect the instructions are simply wrong and people have learned to do it the correct way and they don't take time to think about the subtleties and how that may lead somebody down the wrong path.

So, I guess I'm happy that my fob is programmed but it sure is frustrating to have to re-invent the wheel to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by nyvestysly View Post
    Here's what I found for my 2005 Suburban. In step 3 above the sequence is not On to OFF twice (ON-OFF-ON-OFF)

The correct sequence for my car and I suspect all similar vehicles is RUN-ACCY-RUN-ACCY. Most people think of RUN and ON as the same thing. Okay, I'll accept that. But OFF and ACCY are two entirely different positions.

Look at your late model GM owner manual - I suspect you'll find the steering wheel ignition has four positions: OFF, ACCY, RUN, START.

There is also a problem with step 4 above IMO. The locks cycle lock-unlock while my finger is still on the unlock button. Releasing the unlock button is critical to complete the steps to enter programming mode. However, the lock-unlock sequence occurs while my finger is still on the unlock button.

I confirmed my operation is the same as at least one other vehicle - a 2003 Tahoe. So I think I'm on the right track.

I don't know why so many web sites and forums continue to perpetuate the instructions above if there are some vehicles that don't respond in that manner. I suspect the instructions are simply wrong and people have learned to do it the correct way and they don't take time to think about the subtleties and how that may lead somebody down the wrong path.

So, I guess I'm happy that my fob is programmed but it sure is frustrating to have to re-invent the wheel to do so.
    Hello nyvestysly,

Sorry I didn't pay closer attention this post. Yes, there are problems with these instructions. Here is what worked for me.

I was cycling from Off to Run in step 3 and having the same problem as you. (And yes, the correct sequence is Run, Off, Run, Off) My locks would cycle before I took my finger off of the unlock button. So I started experimenting with the timing of "releasing the unlock button". I found that if I released the unlock button as soon as I went back to Off for the second time, I could go forward with the programming. I don't know if that is how these locks were intended to work, but that is what worked for me. Glad you were able to get yours programmed, and maybe this will help someone else.