GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Do You Think It's Cheaper - Safe - to Buy Cars From America and Ship Them to You?

I've been looking for a new car for quite a while, and one thing a lot of people have been telling me is that you should buy from America for a cheap price and have it shipped to Canada for a grand. I've heard that cars over there (for old and used) go around nearly $2000, but are in great shape. Whereas those same cars in Canada are nearly $6000. Although it seems like a great deal, do you think it's good to ship it for a grand? What it there's a hitch and fixing needed to be done? Do I try to get insurance?

Has anybody bought cars from America and had a good run with them?

A used car may be cheaper in the US.....You still have to clear customs, pay the HST and other fees.....I guess if you could save some money, it might be worth it....but a lot more hassle.

As for warranty, used car warranties aren't worth poop anyways

1997 GMC

Quote Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
    A used car may be cheaper in the US.....You still have to clear customs, pay the HST and other fees.....I guess if you could save some money, it might be worth it....but a lot more hassle.

As for warranty, used car warranties aren't worth poop anyways
    How much would you guess the customs would be if you tried to bring a car over? Does it depend on the price of the car? I've been looking at Kijiji and the deals are great, but all the additional fees are a HUGE turn-off. Americans have it lucky, haha.

There are no "customs" fees, only HST (or GST and provincial sales tax), NAFTA did away with import customs fees.

You do need to have the vehicle inspected and certified to operate in Canada as a Canadian owned vehicle (for example, it must have Daytime Running Lights that come on with the key.

And, you may have to pay a brokerage fee.

But look, don't trust us to tell you the truth, go the the Canadian Customs web page and look for yourself.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

I don't think vehicles are 1/3 of the price .. maybe 4/5th I would believe.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyFan View Post
    I don't think vehicles are 1/3 of the price .. maybe 4/5th I would believe.
    If that....I dont think there is any difference if you look around....I paid $4000 for my truck....I see the same trucks in worse condition stateside for more money....You just have to be patient and shop around

I've seen plenty of the ads on Kijiji, albeit they might be beat up. Some of the listings are crazy compared to what's going on in my province. It's a pretty big difference in price.