GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help wiring 4 fog/driving lights to front of truck

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and need some help with wiring fog/driving lights to the front of my truck. I work at an auto parts warehouse and the owner gave me these 4 fog lights... They are originally meant for Mercedes vehicles and they are made by Bosch. I want to mount all four of them in the grill area and will aim them down towards the road as driving lights. Here are my questions: 1) Obviously I cannot use the OEM Mercedes plug, can I cut off the plug and just splice the wires into other wiring to hardwire them into my truck? 2) Should I wire them as two separate sets and then eventually run them into one positive and one ground and then to a switch? 3) I don't know much about electrical wiring, do I need some sort of relay or fuses? what type? Links? 4) I want to wire all four to one switch, is that possible? 5) What power sources do I tap into for power for the lights, as well as the switch? Anything else that I'm forgetting? Here are some pictures of the lights. Also, I have a 2007 1500 New Body Style. The last picture gives you a VERY rough idea of where I want to mount the lights on my grill.. I can run the studs through the gril and use a washer and nut on the back side of the grill to hold them.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	49185Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	49186Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0071.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	49187Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0072.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	49188Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4108.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	49189
    Last edited by thellama5652; 02-08-2013 at 11:29 PM.

Legend

I would have a relay supply power to the fog lights from the battery or ignition source . If you want control of these lights then have a interior mounted switch to the relay control coil. if you do not need this then connect the relay coil to the headlights or park light feed.

the wires will require fuses at each point where you tap off the power.

I have seen many times the use of just switches supplying power to the lamps and the switches cannot handle the current flow.

I am assuming that the orange/brownish colored wire is going to be my positive correct? And black is what I'll ground?

Quote Originally Posted by thellama5652 View Post
    I am assuming that the orange/brownish colored wire is going to be my positive correct? And black is what I'll ground?
    That is true for American made, but it may not be true of European cars. I would pull the cover of one of them to check it.
    Ray

'09 Avalanche LTZ - Black
    '05 Envoy XL (sold)

Legend

black is the ground with these German vehicles. the orange / brown would indicate a fused wire. solid red unfused wire.

Those look like standard wheatherpack connectors, summit sells a kit that could prob connect to those. I could check if you post some more detailed pics of the connectors. I would wire them as 2 sets as having all 4 on plus the rest of the truck electrics ( hvac, headlights, radio, etc) would be rough on the alternator. You will need fuse holders and relays aswell as a pair of interior switches.
    Last edited by shibby2oo8; 02-09-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Spelling, damn iphone
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.

Yeah that would be great - Thanks man. Here are a few more pictures of the connector, a picture of each face of the connector and then the end of it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Connector.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	49338Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	49339Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	49340

One Bosch 30 amp relay should be able to control power to all four lamps. I would first find out what the current requirements are for the lamps so you can figure out what size fuse to use. If you fuse each light then if one messes up you only lose one from the fuse blowing.
    1994 Chevy K2500 Silverado, 454 (modified), original owner.
    And other vehicles and toys.

"...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
    And treat those two imposters just the same;
    ...you'll be a Man, my son!" Rudyard Kipling

Yeah, that makes sense. I was trying to figure out the power of the lights but there is no wattage printed on the lens.. Any other ideas how to find out?

Legend

if you have a voltmeter with amps measuring they should have a 10 amp selection. place the meter in series with the light feed. positive to positive not across the light input.with this amount I would guess 5 amps then 5X4 =20amps. so using a 30 amp rated relay would be correct. need at least 20% safety factor for reliability.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast