GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Load range of tires for pulling trailer?

Hi y'all, don't know if I'm in the correct forum area, but will ask anyway.

On my new truck (2500HD diesel) which I've only had for 6 days, I noticed yesterday the tires are load range 'D'. Are these ok to pull a 26' enclosed trailer with a 4000 pound car in it? I ask as most of the rest of my fleet, or at least the truck I've pulled with previously have load range 'E' tires. Look forward to replies, Terry

Not enough information to give an exact yes/no answer.

1st: Molded into the sidewall of the tires should be the specific weight rating for the tire (max load is xxxx at xx psi). Load range D is a shortcut for relative load rating compared to other equivalent tires. Actual load rating will depend on tire size. If you find it easier, you could also look this up the tire specs for your tires online (sample page from tirerack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=yes&tab=Specs)
    2nd: figure out how much weight is on each tire without the trailer. Easiest might be to divide the truck's weight by four and assume it is evenly distributed, or you can figure out whether you're front heavy or rear heavy. This should also take into account how much junk would be in the bed while towing.
    3rd: figure out how much additional weight is coming from the trailer. If loaded correctly, this should never exceed the tongue weight rating for your hitch (should be a sticker on the hitch or look up the specs for your hitch type). Split this weight evenly between the two rear tires.
    Example: If your curb (unloaded) weight is ~6000 lbs (split four ways is 1500 lbs). An additional 500 lbs of stuff in the bed (split over the two rear tires is 250 each) and your tongue weight is 500 lbs (250 per rear tire), you are up to ~2000 lbs per tire. If your tires are rated for more than that, you are ok. If the rating is near or below that, it would be worth considering a higher rated tire.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Legend

your vehicle should have a sticker with the tire info. a 2500 GM truck should have load E tires. IMO.

my 2000 SIL 1500 has load C tires. load D would be a tire more suited for my 1500 not a 2500 diesel with tow demands or used to haul heavy loads which a 2500/3500 is built for.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have always run load range E on my 2500HD, I haul an enclosed 32' trailer with 2 vehicles though.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

In addition to the info that @MrShorty provided, D-rated tires are usually 8-ply and rated to 65psi (max). By comparison, E-rated tires are usually 10-ply and rated to 80psi (max).

Usually you need to be at the max psi rating of the tire to carry the max load for which the tire is rated. Check the tires, themselves, and do the match on how much load you're carrying amongst truck, trailer, and cargo, to determine if you're within spec for your needs using the tires you currently have.

Surreal

P.S. If the previous owner didn't do a lot of towing/hauling I can see D-rated tires being put on the truck, as the ride quality is usually a little better than with E-rated tires.

you say "new", but don't know if that means NEW, or NEW to you. If your vehicle is a 2013, return to the dealer and ask them to explain why your truck has "D" rated tires. Look at other 2500HD's on the lot to see if any of them have D's. There are 4 tires listed as possible OEM in my research, all of them "E's". If your truck is used, somebody else put those on to get a softer ride, I am thinking. I don't see any literature anywhere stating any non-E rated tire as OEM for your truck. Could be wrong, though.

Former Member

I'm going to guess he has an oversize tire...they typically rate them in "D". Like a 315x70r17 is typically a LR D?

I would look at the actual weight rating of the tire in a "single" application (it will have a weight rating in pounds for both a single and dual wheel application embossed on the sidewall). My guess is the LR "D" is likely going to have the same weight rating as a OE sized LR "E", at least the ones I have seen. The one down side is the taller oversized tire will have more squirm and sidewall flex.