GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2008 envoy front end rebuild, any advice??

In the morning I an changing out both lower control arms, both upper ball joints, front and rear sway bar links, and rear upper and lower trailing arms. I have rented a ball joint press to do the uppers. Any suggestions or tips that you think I might need? Thanks

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend
    Blog Entries

Air chisel, cutoff wheel, spray the whole area with PBS blaster and let soak lol!!!
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Well, I got it done. It took about 10 hours total. (took 5 hours for the driverside front, I waited 2 hours for parts) I ended up changing the upper and lower control arms and upper ball joints on each side. The Front swaybar links and bushings. The rear upper and lower trailing arms on both sides, rear swaybar links and bushings. It went pretty well. Except for 3 things. To get the lower control arm off I had to remove the CV shaft nut and push the shaft back, (no room to slide ball joint out) that would have been easy, if I had the correct socket. So, my boss spent 2 hours driving around (in my truck) getting the socket and the upper control arms that he decided to replace after I had started. Another issue was the new lower control arm brackets had too much flash on the casting at the holes and the bolts would not fit, so I had to grind the flash off. Not a big deal, except that I did not realize it until I had already wedged the bracket into the frame slots, then had to remove it. The other issue was the rear sway bar links. I ended having to cut 3 of the four ends off due to corrosion. I started with a saws all, those suckers were hard, so I ended up cutting them with a cutoff wheel on a die grinder. I would say that it went pretty well. I guess that I am now prepared for when he decides to do the same to his wife's envoy.
    Last edited by Pikey; 04-29-2013 at 09:50 AM.

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)