GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Master Mechanic

Unhappy P0420 - Need New Cats

Had the stupid P0420 code for some time now, but I've always been able to shake it... until recently. Knowing that there could be many causes I stopped by Monro Muffler and had them hook it up to their computer. Told I need new cats... When asked how much they charge for one they said they replace the whole y pipe and that runs $975 (summit sell the whole y pipe units for around 470). I know cats can be cut out and welded in (even though they said they can not) what would you all recommend? New cats or the whole y pipe unit itself? Since they need replaced I was thinking of just going with magnaflow or flowmaster highflow replacemets. Thanks all!
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .

I bought the Magnaflow y-pipe with the high flow cats. Easier IMO to just do that than pay $100 per cat and pay someone extra to weld them in. Just Bolt the new pipe in yourself...

I'm running that y-pipe with no muffler on my 5.3, just a resonated tip and it sounds SWEET. Not obnoxious; nice, deep, smooth tone.

I think I paid a little over $425 for mine through advanced auto. Ordered online and picked up at the store, they have discounts all the time.

Legend
    Blog Entries

Summit Racing has the Magnaflow High flow cats for $60.97 each, that is there normal price as I just bought 2 of them. You would just have to have someone weld them in, only thing I would recommend is remove the 02 sensors BEFORE welding or you'll be replacing them as well.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

I did this research for my truck because my pass side converter is dead and keeps throwing a p0430 code. It is actually cheaper in the long run to just replace the y pipe and converters then buy them individually. I was looking at both Magnaflow and Flowmaster which are both about the same price, But you will need new O2 sensors. Actually either way you may need new ones because a bad cat can kill them.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Sr. Engineer

Whatever way you go, be sure to keep the old cats. and take them to a salvage yard (scrap metal) to sell them and recoup some of your money
    2000 GMC YUKON SLT, 5.3L tow pkg, G80 rear/w 3.73 gear

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I did this research for my truck because my pass side converter is dead and keeps throwing a p0430 code. It is actually cheaper in the long run to just replace the y pipe and converters then buy them individually. I was looking at both Magnaflow and Flowmaster which are both about the same price, But you will need new O2 sensors. Actually either way you may need new ones because a bad cat can kill them.
    Cheaper, maybe... Easier, definitely.

Plus it just sounds great. when you combo it with a straight through muffler or none at all!