GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: 1986 Truck

Default 1986 Truck

Howdy! I'm glad to find this blog spot. I have a 1986 truck in the driveway and it's carb on the kitchen table.
    Should I rebuild the existing carb or try to find a re-built one?
    Note: The V8 engine has been equiped to pass CA emissions, which I am not subject to here. It seems like it would be a good idea to eliminate all the smog equipment at this time.
    I'm confident I have the skills to complete the required repairs and I'm looking forward the task. I have more time than money right now.
    The truck ran great, but I've had a progressive fuel issue. For two years the only way I could start it in the morning was to prime the carb with gas or starting fluid. Once she got going it would run fine and I could shut it off the rest of the day and it would start-up fine. Then the next AM same drill. Eventually that stopped working. That's why I've got a carb where my toaster was.
    I would really appreciate some advice on this.
    Cheers,
    Gordo.

Welcome to the club Gordo, it's good to have you here.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Thank you. Does anybody know who made the carb for the 350 in 86?

Welcome!! I can't help you with your question.
    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." (Anon)

Welcome,

Try to have the mods move your question or repost it in the general chevy and gm tech section and you might get some more responses to it there.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Welcome!

If I remember at that time they were still using Quadrajets.
    The Q jet carb has had a long and not so good history with GM, they were problematic from the beginning and even when new didnt always perform well.
    But a good mechanic well versed on those carbs could get them to perform great.
    I remember they always suffered from sticky floats, leaky "O" rings on the needle seats, and the electronic choke was iffy.
    But when it's all said and done if youve got more time than money a rebuild kit isnt to expensive and it might be a good time to learn in depth about the carb.
    Many Q Jet's were replaced with Carter's, Edelbrock's, or Holley's, personally I'd probably start looking in recycle yards or swap meets for an old Holley or Carter replacement.