GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Painting Original Wheels - Quick way to freshen up factory OEM Rims

I have a 2001 Chevy Silverado and really like the factory wheels but they are oxidizing and flaking badly. I heard about people wire wheeling sanding then painting them. Is this possible? Id like to powder coat them but dont have the cash, so any ideas?
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 05-29-2013 at 12:07 PM.

Legend

I just did a set of 01 suburban/Tahoe wheels for my Silverado over the summer and they are holding up very well. It's all about correctly prepping each stage. I used a vinyl wire wheel to get rid of all the heavy oxidation and the original clear coat, and also used some really fine sand paper for the nooks and crannies. Then layered thin coates of primer then painted them a satin black again with numerous thin coates and finally satin clearcoat. I didn't use any special wheel paint, everything I used was rustoleam spray paint. These are holding up very well considering I live in MN and all the salt and grime they have already taken this winter.
    99 K1500 Suburban LT "THE BEAST"
    Hypertech III, K&N, true dual
    285/75/16

Jason stole the idea from me, 'cept mine are steelies. The black satin is easy to blend, too, if you get a chip later on.

Back in the day, guys used to use snow-bowl toilet cleaner to strip the clear from the wheels, but that was to re-polish them. If you're coloring over, than a big 'ol X2 on @vncj96, preperation is everything. I used sandpaper and green scotchbrite on mine.

Good luck,

1999 Chevy K2500 Suburban 350
    K&N, reworked cai, Thrush cat-backs
    Vinyl, cranks, floor shift, and rear air!

many thanks i know what ill be doing this spring

I did a set of rims off a 07 Sierra on my old 05 last spring, ill post some pics for ya.

some 250 grit sandpaper 2 coats of primer, 3 of black and 3 of clear. they where holding up just fine until I traded the truck in for the one I have now (had a kid)

Alex
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0122.jpg   4-C2C31AA7-1231314-800.jpg   IMAG0117.jpg   IMAG0114.jpg  

2011 GMC Sierra SLE 5.3 Z71 4X4 Stealth Gray Metallic / 2004 Chevy Impala LS 3.8 Cappuccino

Tow mirrors - Diablew Tuned - Flowmaster Regular 40 - Ready Lift 2.5' lift - BFG LT A/T K/Os - Carr Light Wing - TruckLite LED lights - Optima Red Top - 50% Front Window Tint - Line-X bedliner - Airaid MIT - Tekonsha P2 - ARS Billet Grill - Fia custom fit seat covers

NICE DUDE!
    those are exactly what i want for my blazer. they look great with the paint though =)

i had a set of polished aluminum on my jeep. after one winter i decided im going to polish and clear coat these so the salt wont hurt them anymore! bad idea.
    though with the factory wheels.... it might be ok. theyre not highy polished.... and i can look closely and almost see paint on them already...
    ill let you know how they turn out
    Gas was $1.83 when Obama took office.....

answer: yes you can
    used a super degrease cleaner, dried them fully, then used clear high gloss laquer... they look great. totally brand new now, and they stay cleaner cause brake dust has a hard time sticking to glossy paint

My partner and i used any vinyl line wheel to lose all this heavy oxidation plus the original obvious coat and also used several really mud paper with the nooks and crannies.
    Then split thin coates of primer subsequently painted these people a silk black all over again with numerous thin coates lastly satin clearcoat.

Wow, nice writeup. What a great way to refresh some wheels.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.