GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Tranny issue

Jr. Apprentice

Unhappy Tranny issue

I feel like a dumb ass but i am about to ask a dumb question? So like a dumb ass i was towing a 6000 lbs trailer wit overdrive on. I didn't know i wasn't supposed to. Now I have a surging when my burb goes into over drive. Did I mess up the tranny or what? How do one balance a drive shaft. How can you tell if it needs o be balanced?
    1998 Dodge Neon:neutral: Yeah so, I like It
    1988 GMC Suburban:gasp: TPI Heads, Hedderman Long tube headers, and the valve train out of a drag truck, It has just been rebuilt, and She LIVES!!!! DYNO anybody?!

Try changing the fluids first, they may be burnt or you may have a clogged filter.
    For drivshaft balance you'll need to take the driveshaft to a shop, they can put it on a machine that almost looks like a big metal lathe. It needs to be balance if it causes vibration or thumping, driveshafts almost never require balancing unless they thow a weight or get a dent on them.
    Check the U-joints first, this can cause vibration or thumping also.

Jr. Apprentice

yeah, i will try that. The rear was good, and the u-joints are new. so i don't think its that. It's just the srging I am worried about. I don't want to have to find another transmission.
    1988 GMC Suburban:gasp: TPI Heads, Hedderman Long tube headers, and the valve train out of a drag truck, It has just been rebuilt, and She LIVES!!!! DYNO anybody?!

Jr. Mechanic

Smile

Hey neighbor, hows everything going in Marshall ? I`m close to Columbia just outside of Ashland.
    Terry

2004 Tahoe (wifes)
    2004 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
    1997 Chevy Z-71
    1953 Golden Jubilee

Yea, you probably fried your old 88 tranny. It was due an update anyway. The shuddering is probably whats left of your OD clutches.Chattering inside your transmission. Get a good reman!and flush your coolerlines! All that cool stuff you did to your engine and no tranny work? Did ya at least install a cooler for your tranny before ya went to the tractor pulls! sorry I couldnt resist!

Jr. Apprentice

Hey Duramax,
    GM Tech,sorry been traveling for 2 days. No, no tranny work. The tranny was rebuilt 1 1/2 year ago. i didn't think it would be a problem. No tranny cooler yet. I was going to do that in a few days and i have this issue. how do you update a tranny. Sorry not a tranny guy, not comfortable with the damn things.