GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default The real story behind the Chevrolet bow tie

Thought this was very interesting. I wonder if someone would be able to make a trademark infringement claim, or if that other business is even in businesses anymore.

The 50 Year Anniversary issue of The Chevrolet Story, printed in 1961, tells the story:
    "This was also the year (1913) that the famous Chevrolet trademark was first used on the cars. The distinctive trademark has appeared billions of times on products, advertisings and sales literature as the mark of dependability, economy and quality in motor transportation. It originated in Durant's imagination when, as a world traveler in 1908, he saw the pattern marching off into infinity as a design on wallpaper in a French hotel. He tore off a piece of the wallpaper and kept it to show friends with the thought that it would make a good nameplate for a car."
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xlarge_2011-chevrolet-bowtie-960.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	73.0 KB 
ID:	49408

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coalettesad_300.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	49407

http://huffineschevy.posterous.com/t...rolets-bow-tie
    Last edited by ChevyFan; 02-15-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    * I've been saying for years that I was going to change my username, and I finally did.

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

???? Is there a story behind this?
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Ok never mind I found it....

Interesting

2012 Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab 4.8L 4x4
    - Nitto Tera Grapler 265/70R17, Line-X bed liner, Black Bowties, Stampede front deflector, DeeZee black diamond plate bed rails, TonnoPro Lo-roll cover, Antenna deleted, Spyder Projection Headlights with Phillips CrystalVision Ultra bulbs, Spyder Tail Lights & 3rd Brake Light, Rough Country leveling kit, PlastiDip'd emblems, and wheel hubs, Diablosport Trinity, 20% tint, Black OEM grill

"Coming through in a new Chevy, droppin' game like it's too heavy."

i had heard the story of the wall paper before but never this one, kinda neat.

Give it a week and the ancient astronaut theorists on the history channel will get ahold of it, say they supposedly found a bowtie carved in ancient ruins, and that Durant was in contact with extra terrestrial knowledge. That show cracks me up!

I guess back then logos were not as well protected from trademark violation. I wonder if that company is still in business in some form.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Good info Steve. I always wondered where the Bowtie was from. Thanks for the post.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Thought this was very interesting. I wonder if someone would be able to make a trademark infringement claim, or if that other business is even in businesses anymore.
    Trademarks are only protected by law within the industry where they are used or where they might confuse purchasers. There is also a requirement to defend the trademark since a pattern of otherwise infringing use over a period of years may establish a competing claim.
    Minneapolis area - 1997 K2500 regular cab long bed + 8.5' Western Unimount plow + modified transmission + 2nd battery + modified camper charge circuit + 1971 Cayo camper -and- 2004 4x4 Suburban 2500 8.1 + Maxbrake controller + 2nd battery + modified trailer charge circuit + Reese receiver, pulls 30' Airstream trailer

Blog Entries

companies have to keep applying for trademark renewal as well, thats one reason that they change their logos from time to time, helps to keep it fresh and it's a new trademark with a new start date.
    John ~ New Mexico ~ It's all about the bowtie!
    2007 GMC Envoy & 2010 GMC Sierra