GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Pikey View Post
    I had a pressure pad starter kill relay installed in my 95. I put it under the carpet next to the accelerator pedal, where that vinyl pad is. It stopped someone that got ahold of my keys from being able to mess with my truck (ie.. dumb friends) My parents could not even figure out how to start it and I had shown them how! I would turn the key forward, click the pad with my foot and then start the truck. 98% of people in my truck never knew it was there. Upgrading locks and security system is pointless in my opinion. They will just break a window if they want something. In my opinion a flashing light on the dash along with some common sense is just as effective and much cheaper. Plain and simple, don't leave things in clear sign that other people want. I keep the inside of my truck pretty clean. I have a stock radio. If someone looks into my windows all they will see is my coffee mug in the cup holder and my kids' car seats. I don't leave CDs out, I don't leave phone chargers visible, no change in the cup holder or in clear sight, when I had a system I shut it down well before I entered the place I was parking, bumping base while you park announces that you have something nice that someone that is dishonest may need! When I was working in downtown Detroit a coworker had his truck broken into for .65 cents and a few empty bottles sitting in his cupholder. (10 cents per bottle return in Michigan). Great, a $200 window replacement for less than a dollar in change and bottles.
    Now that is dumb. My aftermarket radio has a blinking theft light and my rear windows are tinted to the point that you would never know what was inside(GM SUV standard). My gps stays hidden and same with CDs and change. I unplug my phone charger after use because my cig ports are always on and then put it under the seat. If someone really wanted my tools in back good luck to them the chest weights around 60lb so not easy to carry and its noisy as hell. All my windows are laminated glass unlike newer cars where only front is, so have fun with that lol. Anyway since the truck looks like hell people would never think to rob it especially because I park next to nicer cars usually.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
    I know it wont stop them it just makes me FEEL happier and more secure. Also I know that my idiot friends couldn't do anything to my truck because they lack those skills. I'm sure if I tried hard enough I could easily mess up the steer lock.

Any way even if they did all that they would be really unhappy once they found out they can't undo my parking brake since it has no lever and unless you knew about it you wouldn't find it with any ease. Still I do plan to upgrade the locks and security system of the truck once I leave peaceful Milford.
    You need to get some different "friends" if they are trying to mess your truck up.

- - - Updated - - -

That would Drive me nuts to no end. I like the steering lock it makes me feel secure and know that if my truck were to be broken in to they would be unable to steer it. Do the 2002-up have the shift lock that only allows you to shift from park if the key is inserted? Because that is the greatest if some one were to try to hot wire the car they would never be able to shift in to gear only run the engine.
    That's a false sense of security at best.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SurrealOne View Post
    Two years -- I bought it used. I'm pretty anal retentive and set out to fix things that were known issues when I bought the truck ... and this was one of them because my previous truck's (2001 Silverado) steering wheel DID lock. I inquired about it with a stealership and, after a VIN lookup, was told there wasn't one on my year/make/model vehicle.
    I did not know locking steering columns were known issues.

I've had many a vehicle with a locking steering column and it has never given me any trouble.

- - - Updated - - -

Now that is dumb. My aftermarket radio has a blinking theft light and my rear windows are tinted to the point that you would never know what was inside(GM SUV standard). My gps stays hidden and same with CDs and change. I unplug my phone charger after use because my cig ports are always on and then put it under the seat. If someone really wanted my tools in back good luck to them the chest weights around 60lb so not easy to carry and its noisy as hell. All my windows are laminated glass unlike newer cars where only front is, so have fun with that lol. Anyway since the truck looks like hell people would never think to rob it especially because I park next to nicer cars usually.
    You had laminate glass put all the way around in your Tahoe? Why? Seems like an awful lot of money for pretty much no reason.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post

You had laminate glass put all the way around in your Tahoe? Why? Seems like an awful lot of money for pretty much no reason.
    I didn't spend it! I bought the truck with it. To be honest it my only be the wind shield and front windows, only ones I can tell have it. I can't tell if the rear windows have it. The trucks life is very mysterious it also has law enforcement brake dust guards for front and back, but is not listed to have the police prep package.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my idiot friends no longer get near the truck because they are to busy being screw ups.

I didn't spend it! I bought the truck with it. To be honest it my only be the wind shield and front windows, only ones I can tell have it. I can't tell if the rear windows have it. The trucks life is very mysterious it also has law enforcement brake dust guards for front and back, but is not listed to have the police prep package.

- - - Updated - - -

Also my idiot friends no longer get near the truck because they are to busy being screw ups.
    Why would you need brake dust guards with drum brakes?

Why would you need brake dust guards with drum brakes?
    You don't.. I meant to say fronts since obviously a drum is already enclosed..... Ok, still I do find it weird that is has that package with out it listed in RPO codes. And this isn't me just guessing or BSing its a Chevy dealer who works on police vehicles and trucks the same year as mine who said they've only seen this on law enforcement or government vehicles.

You don't.. I meant to say fronts since obviously a drum is already enclosed..... Ok, still I do find it weird that is has that package with out it listed in RPO codes. And this isn't me just guessing or BSing its a Chevy dealer who works on police vehicles and trucks the same year as mine who said they've only seen this on law enforcement or government vehicles.
    Maybe the person that hid the vehicle before you installed those parts.

Anything is possible. I really need to find out the trucks history.

I did not know locking steering columns were known issues.

I've had many a vehicle with a locking steering column and it has never given me any trouble.
    I think you misunderstood what I meant. I bought my truck used and it had some problems known to me prior to purchase (e.g. dead passenger side window motor, broken passenger side pitman arm, minor rear passenger side quarter panel body damage, bald tires, etc.) ... and the fact that the steering wheel did not lock when I expected it to do so (from having owned a 2001 Silvy) was counted among the 'known issues' I felt I had to address after I bought the truck. I later learned from the stealership that it wasn't ... because no lock should be present.

Do the 2002-up have the shift lock that only allows you to shift from park if the key is inserted?
    My 2004 -does- have a shift lock.

I have an aftermarket alarm system, too -- but even that is just a deterrent and an added layer of security. (At least my alarm will let me know if a thief with a rollback tries to take it.)

Like others, I don't put much faith in locking steering wheels. I do, however, feel that the greater the number of security layers, the less likely the vehicle is to be taken. So, I wouldn't mind if my steering wheel locked, as it'd be one more thing for a thief to deal with...

My 2002 does not have a lock and I don't think my 2000 had one either. Good luck............

2002 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab SportSide: See Mods in My Garage

I like your idea of a pressure pad by the pedals. I'd like to have a security system because I would know if someone were breaking into my truck while I'm at home. As far as if people are going to break in, I agree there's literally nothing that can be done. When I was installed in highschool automotives, I had to replace a lock cylinder that got punched in on a jeep after somebody broke into it with nothing valuable showing. They got about $1 in change, but the change was all inside the console and not visible. The same people also brought their other vehicle in the same day and it had also been broken into.

2008 FORD F350. My new all-around truck.
    2001 Silverado Reg. Cab Not-So-Base -- SOLD
    2003 Avalanche Z71. No Cladding. Check out my Mod thread. - Crashed. Will be rebuilt soon.
    1974 Triumph Spitfire 1500 - Work in Progress
    2003 Sierra 3500 Duramax. The Newer, Better Work Truck -- FOR SALE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123