GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default El Paso drag racing

so el paso made the national news this week with the racing of 2 news vans at our new drag strip...yep thats right the news vans with the big a$$ satellites on the top LOL

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=o-C7ZkTEHtU[/media]

the guy that won actually got fired....pretty crappy if you ask me
    Rob

2001 Mitsubishi Galant R.I.P
    2007 Chevy Silverado
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer

Keep in mind those vans are worth about $200,000 a piece, I know my employer would fire me in a heartbeat if I got caught drag racing any of our work trucks.

yea thats pretty irresponsible I think I would be pissed too, kinda funny tho
    PETE
    95 GMC Sierra 2500
    3" Body Lift, 33" Goodyear MTR's
    5.7L 350 TBI Edelbrock SDT Exhaust, Flowtech Headers, K&N Intake
    Sold :(
    1999 Jeep Cherokee, 3" Rustys lift, 33" BFG MT's, locked, armored: Rolled :(
    2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. K&N Intake, Custom Kolak Exhaust

Contact this GMTC Moderator for any problems or questions you may have :great:

Join the GMTC Facebook Group!!! Join Here

yeah these trucks are said to be worth about 500,000 a peice...and they were there deminstrating that racing legaly at a track is safer than street racing.

i can understand getting fined but i think firing him was a bit much....the next morning after the story aired one of the local radio stations put a shout out that they were looking for a new van driver HAHAHAH
    Rob

2007 Chevy Silverado
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer

Really? When did this all happen?

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/03/14/v...acing-legally/

Driving a news van can be a real drag. Evidently so, as news crews from KDBC-TV and KVIA-TV in El Paso, Texas took it literally during their coverage of opening night at El Paso Motorplex. In response to the crowd's wishes, both overweight vans -- packing a full assortment of electronic equipment and sporting satellite dishes on the roof -- staged at the tree. Reaction times were slow as both lumbered off the line, sans wheelspin, and hobbled down the quarter-mile strip. Neither news station posted slips, but the driver from KDBC-TV was let go for his performance (one has to assume the only thing he broke were the station rules). Lucky for us, video cameras caught all of the action.

CNN's Anderson Cooper reported the event in the video after the jump with this cynical lead-in: "What were they thinking?" His follow-up crack of, "...seriously, the folks in the van should have known better..." was only topped by the comment from his female co-host who blurted out, "I didn't realize it was legal anywhere to drag race... shows you I don't get out much." Doh! Turns out they thought the media face-off was in pour taste because a person had died in that area the previous night in what may have been an illegal street-racing incident.

It is, however, still legal to drag race on quarter- and eighth-mile tracks all over the country, and we think the impromptu event was a pretty cool publicity stunt for EP Motorplex. In fact, next time let's turn it up a notch with some big names going head-to-head for pinks. Are you listening CNN and FOX News? Thanks for the tip, Nick!

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

^^^ yep it was in the El Paso times also....i think they spun the story wrong.....yes 2 dumb ass army guys killed an el pasoian illegal racing the night before on I-10, but the news crews were at the opening night of the drag strip showing how it is SAFER to run legally at a drag strip...and in my opinion they did just that by racing 2 $500,000 news vans with no incidents...but yet the channel 4 guy got fired...oh well whatever...i was supposed to be there that night too lol but my ride fell thru
    Rob

2007 Chevy Silverado
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer

You know what? Thats not a bad idea...I might have the Rogers 400 down King street...

Jamie

2007 Ford E250(Work van) (Ya, Ya, shut up!)
    1996 GMC Sierra SLE 1500 5.7L/4L60E