GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default 2011 Silverado - Noise from rear end while turning and hitting a bump

I have a 2011 Silverado with 14,xxx miles. I recently took it in to my local Chevy dealer for a noise that developed in the rear end. The noise is a sort of banging noise when going over a bump with the front wheels turned. I most notice it when backing out of my driveway, as it has the usual low curb that most subdivisions have. The dealer told me that it was a normal noise caused by the rear axle shaft shifting and hitting the axle retaining pins. I don't think that is normal, and it never did it until recently.

Any ideas?

Jr. Engineer

wouldnt know without hearing and seeing it. do you have a hitch with a reciver in? those can causes noises over bumps.
    "i dont think you got the picture. i got a beautiful picture. this baby happens to have an extra turn of speed, which is the only thing i care about. you dont understnad what happens do you? they make cars. they make 'em exactly the same way. one or two of 'em turn out to be something special. nobody knows why. i know why. i may be kiddin' myself, but i think i can make somethin' out of that sad little bucket of bolts." ~ Tennessee Steinmetz

Quote Originally Posted by dprince48 View Post
    I have a 2011 Silverado with 14,xxx miles. I recently took it in to my local Chevy dealer for a noise that developed in the rear end. The noise is a sort of banging noise when going over a bump with the front wheels turned. I most notice it when backing out of my driveway, as it has the usual low curb that most subdivisions have. The dealer told me that it was a normal noise caused by the rear axle shaft shifting and hitting the axle retaining pins. I don't think that is normal, and it never did it until recently.

Any ideas?
    Do you have the G80 differential?

I disagree, my 2008 and 2013 never made a banging noise when I made turns or hitting bumps.

Now my 2008 made a clunking noise when the locking differential mechanism engaged when I first got it. GM apparently put the wrong fluid in there and simply replaced the fluid.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

Legend

have you removed the rear diff cover and replaced the diff gear oil and clean yet ? this should be done after 2,ooomiles of use when new.

gears need inspecting for proper meshing and any abnormal wear teeth cracks damage etc.

if the vehicle was used to tow or haul heavy loads first 2000miles this does cause issues with the G80 diff.

Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    have you removed the rear diff cover and replaced the diff gear oil and clean yet ? this should be done after 2,ooomiles of use when new.

gears need inspecting for proper meshing and any abnormal wear teeth cracks damage etc.

if the vehicle was used to tow or haul heavy loads first 2000miles this does cause issues with the G80 diff.
    2000 miles?? change even before the engine oil?? I can understand wanting to get the "break-in" oil out but I think 2k miles is a little soon. Regardless if this was done or not it still should not be making any abnormal noises that was not heard all along.

2011 Silverado CrewCab 5.3L*Ram Air Look Cowl Induction Reflexxion Hood*6" Pro Comp Lift*Flowmaster Dual exhaust*Perfect Launch Rear Diff. Cover*Led Smoke Taillights*L.E.D.Smoke 3rd Brakelight*60" L.E.D. Tailgate Bar*Rearview Mirror Reverse Camera and Sensors*Smoke Headlight Covers*Front Bumper Grill Insert*Deezee Black Alum. Diamond Rail covers*20" Ultra Motorsports Rims wrapped with 35.5"B.F. Goodrich Tires*Inchannel Raingaurds*CAI*Bullydog GT Tuner*Alpine Amp*Boss 6x9's*Boston Acoustic Subs*Terrantula Tweeters*Custom Sub box*Red Led Interior Accents*5% Ultimacool duo tint rear window and doors, 20% front doors*Custom Vinyl Graphics*Demolded*Debadged*Painted drums and calipers*
    Future Mods Include: Custom Interior Hydrographics, Electronic Rollup Toneau Cover, 4.56 Gears, Painted rear bumper

Did you check the "U" bolts over the axle for the proper torque?
    I had a problem similar to that right after I removed the rear 1" blocks, correctly torquing the bolts solved it.

i have the same problem dealer said it was normal

Any ideas?

My 2011 makes a noise and best I can tell its the spare tire. It has a spring on it I guess so you can't over tighten it. I let all the air out of it then tightened it up and put air back in it and it helped some but it's still there. I've had it on a lift and checked everything thats all I could find.

Sr. Apprentice

Any ideas?
    I had the same problem and someone on here told me there was a tbs for the rear springs, took it in to my dealer no more problem. I will say that it is starting to come back. Here is the tsb for the springs, #06-03-09-004d. Hope that helps you like it did my truck.