GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
    Sr. Apprentice

Default auto transmission fluid change

hey all whats your opinion on going to dealer or transmission specialilty garage for trans flush and check up ? ive heard it can be tricky and i want it done right. i have 2004 tahoe z71 5.3 gas eng any thoughts about (ammco) vs dealer oh ya its at 118000 miles
    Last edited by mike042; 02-14-2013 at 12:57 PM.

whats the mileage on the truck? some say that with the higher mileage on a vehicle a flush can cause leaks due to removing some gunk that may be sealing it. I still tend to take work to the stealership if its something I am not comfortable doing or dont have time/tools to do it.
    David
    2004 Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4x4, AMSOIL EA air filter, Granatelli MAF sensor, Throttle body spacer, Magnaflow exhaust (true dual to 2 in 1 out muffler), 6" ProComp lift (add a leaf and 5" superlift rear block), Bilstein shocks, 35's (Cooper Disoverer ST) and 4.10 gears, Rhino Liner, EGRUSA fender Flares and widow visors, extended stainless steel brake lines, firestone airbags w/onboard air compressor, Pioneer Avic X940BT navigation, Accel backup camera.
    http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...Silverado-2500
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88
    2001 Pontiac Sunfire
    2013 Toyota Avalon Limited (Wife's Car)
    NRA Life Member

Tranny flushes can be iffy it matters on how and what they are doing. At my local shop they have a very high tech flush system that removes almost all of the old fluid even from the torque converter and then refills it with new fluid. I also had them replace the filter because it was the factory one. The dealer usually does the same as my shop with a full flush. The flush wont hurt the tranny it will only reveal problems that already existed because of wear.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Depends on who you're comfortable with, I went to high school with the service manager at my dealer so I can trust him with my vehicles. I had the same concerns when I had mine done, it had over 90,000 on it at the time and the recommended mileage for tranny flush is 70,000. He told me that if the fluid smelled burned at all they wouldn't flush it, luckily fluid was fine so they went ahead and flushed it, been fine since, no leaks and runs good, have 135,000 on it now. Aamco has always had a reputation of being shady but that's my opinion based on the local shop.
    Adam

Master Mechanic

I had one done on mine before it hit 100,000. The rado and the tranny is still kicking. Of course this was mine and may not work the same for you.
    Objects in mirror are losing

2003 Chevy Silverado Z71, 5.3L, K&N 57 series, 2.5'' Flowmaster Super 10 series dual exhaust , Corvette Servo, McNew Automotive Dyno tune, SS gauge cluster, Extang Trifecta Tonneau, Pacesetter shorty headers, Goodmark cowl hood, Sony Xplod speakers, Kenwood DDX-470 exhaust tips, 16" Ultra Badlands polished wheels, Pirelli Scorpion ATR .