GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: Little pop

Default Little pop

So my '04 silverado has this nice little pop sound that is coming out of the rear of the truck somewhere when i accelerate from a stop. It doesn't do it all the time but it originally sounded like U-joints so i replaced those, now i have a pair of rear shocks that i haven't put on yet. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this. It's driving me nuts.

- - - Updated - - -

Also i forgot, but i just ordered a set of Mickey Thompson STZs for my '04 silverado i was curious if anyone has run these and if so how well they wore.

Legend

I had this issue with my 2000 sil 4wd. when cold out. colder the temp the more it did it. after a stop like a red light on starting to move the drive train would make a thump and this could be felt. so I sprayed the drive shaft tail piece with silicone spray and this went away for a day or two only to gradually get as bad as before. I found out threw the dealership this is because of the transfercase fluid requiring replacement. the dealership did this for free under warrantee. now I just replace this trac II fluid every 30-40,ooo mi. so far it has not returned 140,ooomi now.

some have had to replace the bushing/sleeve because of wear or poor fit to repair this .spray this area with some lube when it does it if it goes away then you know .

I did the nickel plated slip yoke route because the issue will come back and I wanted it fixed for good. It was back in 08 and hasnt done it again. I think it was about $230.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.