Quote Originally Posted by Conlan Rose View Post
The thing was market research showed that even though the smaller Dmax got much better fuel mileage people were not willing to spend the extra money on diesel fuel. This caused GM to shelve the project. If they had come out with it 3-4 years ago when it was being worked on; GM would have trucks getting 24 mpg hwy (this was an approx value by GM) with that engine. It was going to be an amazing engine and totally change the market.

- - - Updated - - -

I was just thinking we have enough people on this site with contacts in GM that could ask about it. The engine from my understanding is ready to launch and was fully developed before being shelved.

- - - Updated - - -

There is almost 0 info about their new engine... At least when you look up 4.5L duramax you find lots of info.
Yeah, but then again, how much info is out about the engine in the new Vette? lol. The engine they are going to put in the Ram is the same one that is going into the Grand Cherokee (240hp and 420ft. lbs of torque according to NY Times). And from what I read elsewhere, they will offer the same engine with more power for the Ram. I do wish they woulda dropped that 4.5 Dmax into the NNBS. That woulda been awesome.