GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Default Rear Brake Question

My 91 K1500 has a rear brake issue. The driver side has a frozen EBrake line. When I use the truck that brake will drag and heat up on short drives. Can someone tell me what is really causing this? Is is the Wheel Cylinder? A clogged Proportion Valve? Or can it really be just that EBrake line?

I've seen frozen brake cables, so it could just be the e-brake. It could also be something hydraulic that prevents the brake shoes from retracting. or something else wrong inside the drum. I think the 1st thing I'd do would be to pull the drum (If the shoes are binding against the drum, you'll have to use something to retract the adjuster for the shoes) and see what I could see.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

The frozen E brake line could very well cause that problem. Or a bad cylinder could do it too, I'd unhook the E brke cable first. Probably gonna be hard to get the drum off.

If you leave it to long you will warp your drum (so your pedal will pulsate) and you will destroy your pads. Remove your tire and drum and see what is hanging it up.
    Ken Beida
    2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4, 5.3L
    2009 GMC Sierra Denali, 6.2L = 403hp, AWD, Full load

Well I have purchased a new spring kit and a wheel cylinder. I will update this once all is done, but I might put the springs on first, run it for a week then if there is no change I will install the cylinder.

ok, got the spring kit on. WOW disconnecting the E-Brake was not a picnic. But it is off and just laying there, I hope that it will not interfere with the braking at all. There was one spring that the kit did not have and I thought that was weird. But the others all matched up correctly. Lets see what happens.....

Let us know how it works out....you should look at repairing and reinstallint the park prake cable. It is a safety requirement for your vehicle.