GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Which oil?

Default Which oil?

Hey guys i have an 07 silverado with a little over 70 000 miles. ive been putting 5w 30 oil in it but this time i bought 10w 30. is 10w 30 better or does it matter.

also my friend has a tahoe with 200 000 miles and wants to start changing his own oil. is there really something better about the high mileage oil or should he just use normal 10 30 oil.

any input would be appreciated. thanks
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.

Barnett, you are going to get soooo many variation on this, but I will give you mine. The 5w-30 is better in the winter, and in the summer if your truck is not burning any oil. The lighter weight oil gets to the rotating masses in the engine quicker on start-up, especially in winter, which means less wear. If the vehicle sits several days, virtually all the oil is drained into the pan, which results in a dry start-up. The quicker you get the oil up into the motor, the less wear, in theory. As for the high-mileage oils, there is zero benefit from them. It is a marketing idea to sell more oil. Oil makers still tout changing every 3K, or 90 days, even though that old wives tale was put to rest years ago. Use a good oil, in the weight the owners manual recommends, and change at the intervals they recommend.

I dont think it matters too much but I would just stick with what the manufacturer calls for. The engine was "design" for a certain type of oil in mind so why not just stick with that.

The high mileage oil is not necessary but it will not hurt either. But this link gives some benefits of high mileage.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ge_10W-30.aspx
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeSilver02 View Post
    ...I would just stick with what the manufacturer calls for.
    +1. Find the correct weight and pick your favorite brand in that weight...

Everytime someone asks about oil, all kinds of answers come up. Citing a sales presentation by Mobiloil as evidence that the product might be worth something, well, I guess we might as well all be using STP, wearing Aqua Velva after shave, and taking Carter's Little Liver Pills. No independent lab has found a single component in "high mileage" oil that is both beneficial, and absent in other quality oils. I even find it offensive that Mobiloil would consider 75,000 miles to be "high mileage"...what are they all driving, Yugo's???? Of course, that is just my opinion....

thanks for the tips. my truck is actually burning a little oil thats why i decided on the 10 30 this time just to try it out.

Legend
    Blog Entries

I have an 05 2500HD with the 6.0, and I switched to 10w30 a long time ago. Main reason is the piston slap sound was driving me nuts, 10-30 quieted it right down.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    Everytime someone asks about oil, all kinds of answers come up. Citing a sales presentation by Mobiloil as evidence that the product might be worth something, well, I guess we might as well all be using STP, wearing Aqua Velva after shave, and taking Carter's Little Liver Pills. No independent lab has found a single component in "high mileage" oil that is both beneficial, and absent in other quality oils. I even find it offensive that Mobiloil would consider 75,000 miles to be "high mileage"...what are they all driving, Yugo's???? Of course, that is just my opinion....
    I guess you think that every ad that is out there has no truth to it at all? Yes I don't think that 75,000 is considered high mileage for newer vehicles but I wasn't promoting an oil product, I was showing quick example of what it has to offer.

If you really want to have independent opinions and thoughts on high mileage oil "Bob Is The Oil Guy" forum has tons of information for one to look through. That is where I got the link.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1719553

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2846996

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...t&Number=49758
    Last edited by ChromeSilver02; 02-15-2013 at 08:02 AM.

Former Member

Quote Originally Posted by TRPLXL2 View Post
    I have an 05 2500HD with the 6.0, and I switched to 10w30 a long time ago. Main reason is the piston slap sound was driving me nuts, 10-30 quieted it right down.

A 10w30 is the same viscosity as a 5w30 at operating temperature...a 30 weight is a 30 weight.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by buckmeister2 View Post
    No independent lab has found a single component in "high mileage" oil that is both beneficial, and absent in other quality oils.

That's because labs are looking at common compounds. There is nothing saying oil blends can't have additional things like proprietary seal conditioners, antiwear additives, etc.. The typical lab is not set up to analyze for everything under the sun.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Barnettamb View Post
    thanks for the tips. my truck is actually burning a little oil thats why i decided on the 10 30 this time just to try it out.

Unfortunately oil type typically won't stop oil burning. The only thing that will slow oil burning sometimes is a thicker viscosity...I would actually consider a stout 5w40 or 15w40 diesel oil like Rotella if you felt like experimenting. But that's just a thought, and not a sure thing.

Legend

with your vehicle 5-30wt is the OEM correct engine oil. I use synthetic mobil oil in my 2000 SILVERADO 5.3L since 2001. the engine now at 140,ooomi has no oil issues/leaks/etc. this engine is well known for the piston slap/knock when on start up in cold temps.

I do not recommend any non synthetic oils in these GM engines. trucks require a high quality synthetic oil to handle the heat created by loading.

high mileage oil for me is the 15,ooomi mobil synthetic oil that is offered. I use the less expensive mobil synthetic . replacing the oil at 8,ooomi.

the oil filter is the part that effects the wear on the engine. I use most times WIX/PUROLATOR PLUS/as well as the ac delco . I do not use or recommend any fram made filters. these filters are made poorly. QC is not good.

your 2007 may require the dexos GM approved engine oils. my last purchase of the mobil 1 5-30wt oil has now the GM dexos approval label. the oil seems to work quite well in the cold temps. engine is very quite on first starting . this GM dexos seems to work well so far. my 2000 engine does not require it , but I can see the difference .

using synthetic fluids in the engine and transmission does improve mileage. your 2007 should have synthetic OEM fluid in it. dexronVI it what the spec is now.

with synthetic engine oil cold weather creates faster starts and less stress on the starting components.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last Post byLast Post by