GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Thread: Which oil?

my manual states 5w30 on my 2000 5.3L...... last year I moved to 10w30 to see if it was thick enough to slow some of the oil leaks I am having and it helped a little.

Synthetic is expensive and it would leak quicker so i would cost me allot more in the long haul.

Legend

I pay 30.oo for a 6 qt case of mobil synthetic . change oil at 8,ooomi. this is 2x that of the dino oil. so that comes to 5.oo a qt for synthetic. dino goes for 3.50 qt correct ? so I do not see how you are saving anything on the dino/non synthetics. also synthetics you do save on fuel .
    since I do the oil changes I like going 2X on the oil changes less mess/work.

Currently I'm running reg oil because of a leaking fitting but once it is fixed I will be running Mobil 1 syn. When I run reg oil I only use Pennzoil because they have very high quality reg oil. I only use spec oil 5w-30 using non spec oil can harm the engine in the long run.

1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

Jr. Mechanic

+1 for bobistheoilguy.com
    Excellent information there.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeSilver02 View Post
    I guess you think that every ad that is out there has no truth to it at all? Yes I don't think that 75,000 is considered high mileage for newer vehicles but I wasn't promoting an oil product, I was showing quick example of what it has to offer.

If you really want to have independent opinions and thoughts on high mileage oil "Bob Is The Oil Guy" forum has tons of information for one to look through. That is where I got the link.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1719553

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2846996

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...t&Number=49758
    - - - Updated - - -

Fixing the leaks would be better still. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by nakranij View Post
    my manual states 5w30 on my 2000 5.3L...... last year I moved to 10w30 to see if it was thick enough to slow some of the oil leaks I am having and it helped a little.

Synthetic is expensive and it would leak quicker so i would cost me allot more in the long haul.
    2012 Silverado 1500 LT 4X4
    2003 Suburban LT 2500 6.0L
    2004 2500HD Crew Cab LT 4x4 6.0L - SOLD

Been using Mobil 1 10W30 on my 170k miles Suburban with 5.3L. Never leaked a drop but it burns 1 qt. every 5k miles. Changed it every 5k miles at most 7.5k miles interval using only AC Delco filter (PF61). It still has the slight piston slap on cold start up but it has not gotten worst. Still pulls very hard.

On the 2011 silverado with 5.3L, recommended is 5W30 dexos so I use Mobil 1 full sythetic extended but change at 8k miles still with 40% oil life. I am not comfortable with 15k mile oil change interval.

5w30 and 10W30 are basically the same viscosity at operating temp. So it should not make a lot of difference at operating temp other than a little thicker viscosity on cold start up on the 10W30..
    2011 Chevy Silverado LT 4WD 30k miles
    2001 Suburban 2WD, 5.3, V8 185k miles
    1993 964
    1996 318TI

No, I don't think no ads have truth, and certainly did not intend to rile you up. My apologies for that. My point was that using a marketing campaign from a vendor as a source for why people might consider that vendor is a bit like asking a Ford dealer what vehicle they prefer, and why. As a matter of fact, I use Mobil synthetic in my 168K truck, but I would not even consider using their "high mileage" oil, simply because there is zero benefit to it, yet Mobil markets it as having some kind of voodoo ingredient that will help your engine last longer.

As for independent information, there is no shortage of test info on oils of all kinds and applications. I study them from time to time. I have visited "Bob's" site before, and found it informative.

No hard feelings man, I wasn't riled up, atleast wasn't trying to come across that way. I think that ads has some truth in the product they are selling but I think that they really over play the importance of their products to the consumer. I understand what you are saying, I guess I should have used different example instead of a product page.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Legend

many years ago I did use pennzoil and castrol regular engine oils in a 1983 car. replacing the oil ever 3500mi. I got 17years / 380,ooomi and never had any engine problems. no leaks , oil adding as well.

with the 2000 truck and this type engine the synthetic made a big difference . the 2000 came with dino oil when new. so when I changed to synthetic I will never go back. the old engines you had no problem using dino oil. these new engines with the use of alcohol fuels dino and water from the fuel is a bad combination.

The manufacturer calls for 5W-30, put 5W-30 in it.

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 with an ACDelco PF48 oil filter. No problems with my 2008 and I don't think I'll have problems with my 2013.

2013 Silverado LTZ White Diamond Crew Cab

Mods:
    Advent OGM1 Navigation
    Husky Liners GearBox Underseat Storage
    Airaid MIT
    EGR Rail Caps
    K&N Air Filter
    Flowsound 40 Muffler
    Hypertech Max Energy Tune (only top end limiter removed and AFM disabled)
    Chrome Tailgate Handle Cover
    TonnoPro HF-155 Tonneau Cover
    WeatherTech Front and Rear Splash Guards
    Husky Liners X-Act Contour Floor Liners
    WeatherTech Side Window Deflectors

thanks for the replies they were helpful
    2007 Chevy
    Reg cab
    2wd
    4.3 v6
    32'' bfgoodrich all terrains

If they don't sing, they don't sling.