GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Light hookup on Silverado with truck cap

What is the best way to hook up the brake and interier lights on my raider truck cap.
    04 Silverado,, not sure if there is a plug in hookup or if you need to tap into the harness.
    Thanks Kent.

That's a good question, I don't know the answer but I'd like to know it myself. In the past I have seen a wire hookup from the rear-brake light that enters the cover. There's got to be a "best practices" way of getting it done.

Steve
    10 Chevy Traverse LT AWD
    02 Chevy Trailblazer LS (110K+ miles - loaded except for 4WD - WRECKED!)
    99 Chevy Cavalier LS (105K+ miles - commuter car)
    78 Chevy Suburban Silverado (454, 3/4 ton)
    62 GMC 3/4 ton Pickup (350 police interceptor)

Remember: Search Before Posting | Fill out Your Profile & Signature
    Follow Us Please: facebook.com/gmtruckclub | twitter.com/gmtruckclub
    Support GMTC: Help the site, contribute today

Do you have the trailering package? if so there will be a harness between the cab and box or along the frame on the drivers side at the back of the box to tie the brake light into. For the dome light you will just have to run a power wire from your fuseblock with an on/off switch. Unless someone else knowsof a better way.
    Ken Beida
    2010 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 4X4, 5.3L
    2009 GMC Sierra Denali, 6.2L = 403hp, AWD, Full load

i used a 3m scotch lock to hook up the brake light (there is a hole in the bed right by the drivers side brake light) and just taped into a hot wire for the dome light but dont forget to put some type fuse in line for the added protection i also put bullet type connectors for quick disconect if i take the cap off

Dan

2006 GMC 1500 Long Bed Vortec 4.3
    1982 S-10 Prodject Street/Track with a 327/300hp Motor built up to 415 hp

Quote Originally Posted by Redrider View Post
    What is the best way to hook up the brake and interier lights on my raider truck cap.
    04 Silverado,, not sure if there is a plug in hookup or if you need to tap into the harness.
    Thanks Kent.
    Hi Kent. Did you ever figure out how to hook up the brake and dome light on your truck? I just bought a Raider cap today and need to hook up my electrics (brake and dome lights) and I'm not sure how. Any advice?

John

Thx guys for the help. No John Bo haven"t tackled the job yet to freekin cold and wet to crawl under the truck this week,my hands work better when its above zero outside. I will likely cut into the trailer light harness just inside the rear bumper to pickup the brake light,there should be a light blue wire that is for the high mount brake light circuit. White wire is the ground, I also need to see if the cargo light wire goes back to the rear bumper area to. I will use this to power and switch the internal dome light inside the cap.
    Will post the results when I get to it here,but it may be awhile the weather is looking like crap for the next couple weeks here with below normal temps.
    regards kent.

Default Wiring a third brake light on a Raider cap

Hey Redrider. I couldn't wait to hook up the electrics to my Raider cap as I've been told that it's illegal to cover up your 3rd brake llight as I did when I installed the cap. Last week I took my 2002 Sierra to "Truck Toppers" in Fonthill to have them do the wiring as it was only about $35.00 plus tax. It was a lot less hassle letting them do it as it was done right and it's guaranteed. Now the brake and dome light work perfectly!

Good luck, John

Ya John for $35 bucks thats the way to go. Any idea how they hooked it up.?????

Kent, I was there while it was being connected but I didn't crawl under the back of my truck as he tapped into the existing wiring however I do know that he tapped into the wiring which leads to my harness just below my rear bumper. He was really good and knew exactly what to do. I found out that my brake light (on rear of cap) was shot and had to be replaced. That part cost $50 but like I said the hook-up alone was about $35 and shouldn't take him anymore then 30 minutes.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Bo View Post
    Hey Redrider. I couldn't wait to hook up the electrics to my Raider cap as I've been told that it's illegal to cover up your 3rd brake llight as I did when I installed the cap. Last week I took my 2002 Sierra to "Truck Toppers" in Fonthill to have them do the wiring as it was only about $35.00 plus tax. It was a lot less hassle letting them do it as it was done right and it's guaranteed. Now the brake and dome light work perfectly!

Good luck, John
    You know, for $35 I agree, that's not a bad way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast