GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default need help with oem codes

    ok so today i bought a truck and well either way on monday im gonna call and complain. but 2 and a half hour drive and dealer said every mechanical thing was perfect and showed me the information and that it checked out for there lot, test drove and seemed fine. well 30 min after i left check engine light comes on so on way home got it checked at autozone. codes were p0171, p0174, and p0101. trying to figure exactly what they mean but can really find straight answers? but what does this mean if someone who knows all this stuff could help. i dont know if it matters but it is a 2004 chevy silverado 1500. 5.3 v8 flex fuel.

  2. #2

    Default

    Based on those codes (which you can readily Google), it's most likely a mass airflow sensor issue. Perhaps it is dirty. Perhaps the connections to it are poor. Perhaps it needs to be replaced (they are spendy)...

  3. #3

    Default

    The meaning I'm giving you are from my 96-98 trucks codes but they are pretty much the same on current trucks.
    P0171: fuel trim lean bank 1
    P0174: fuel trim lean bank 2
    P0101: as Surreal said MAF system performance problem.

    So pretty much your truck isn't injecting as much fuel as air is coming in causing a weak fuel to air ratio. This means the MAF isn't reading accurately and is telling the computer the wrong amount of air that is coming in to the intake. If you replace please use only AC Delco parts or you will have another problem down the road.

    Btw Welcome to the GMTC!

    1996 Chevy Tahoe LT 5.7L V8 4X4 205,000+ miles. Built proudly at Janesville Assembly in Janesville, Wisconsin
    Basic mods: Lights all over, bunch of electrical work, and a couple cooling mods.

    Check out my other mods in My Garage: http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...t-Tahoe-4-Door

  4. #4

    Default

    With that code it sounds more like the sensor itself like Conlan said than just a vacuum leak, prob need a new sensor. Have to watch buying a used car, last fall my uncle picked up a 07 colorado and brought it over for me to look at. Had mud everywhere even in the above door grab handles, been wrecked on the whole drivers side and cheaply repairedand a list of other probs. it had a clean car fax and dmv report but the previous owner was a fleet and it was used for statue of liberty mait and was repaired in house so the hell it went through was undocumented. Iwould test every switch, handle, button, function, light on the thing, spend a hood hour with a fine tooth comb to give you some ammo to go in there with. I took his truck back with him and walked around it with the sales person for a good 20 mins bitching til they gave his money back.week later the truck was back on the lot, priced at kbb agian. Sorry i just realized how much i rambled but with used cars you have to spend time to avoid getting screwed.
    01' 1500 LT Z71 ECSB 5.3L
    line-x'd front brush guard with KC Daylighters, 6000k HID lows and highs, rewired highbeams, Trans-go mild shift kit, custom stainless duals, 3500 dually OEM taillights, K&N CAI. Still have OEM fender flairs and leveling kit in boxes waiting for time.


  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shibby2oo8 View Post
    With that code it sounds more like the sensor itself like Conlan said than just a vacuum leak, prob need a new sensor. Have to watch buying a used car, last fall my uncle picked up a 07 colorado and brought it over for me to look at. Had mud everywhere even in the above door grab handles, been wrecked on the whole drivers side and cheaply repairedand a list of other probs. it had a clean car fax and dmv report but the previous owner was a fleet and it was used for statue of liberty mait and was repaired in house so the hell it went through was undocumented. Iwould test every switch, handle, button, function, light on the thing, spend a hood hour with a fine tooth comb to give you some ammo to go in there with. I took his truck back with him and walked around it with the sales person for a good 20 mins bitching til they gave his money back.week later the truck was back on the lot, priced at kbb agian. Sorry i just realized how much i rambled but with used cars you have to spend time to avoid getting screwed.
    ino i just i figured since from a dealer itd be trust worthly but guess not. imma try to clean it and check wire first but how much they cost?

  6. #6

    Default

    $125 ish with a core charge usually. You can clean it but if its throwing a circuit code it prob toast. Is there an aftermarket intake or filter on it? These are sensitive to filter oil from k&n type washable filters.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shibby2oo8 View Post
    $125 ish with a core charge usually. You can clean it but if its throwing a circuit code it prob toast. Is there an aftermarket intake or filter on it? These are sensitive to filter oil from k&n type washable filters.
    ok got the truck pretty decent so thats not to bad as long as thats the problem. ha and no its stock

  8. #8
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    with the MAF code and the lean codes on both banks 1/2 this I guess would be a leak between the MAF and throttlebody. could also be leak in the upper intake . loose IAC or PCV crankcase venting etc oil dip stick no seated some other vacuum leak. A 2004 5.3L I think does not have a PCV. internal to driverside valve cover ?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by regcab View Post
    ok so today i bought a truck and well either way on monday im gonna call and complain. but 2 and a half hour drive and dealer said every mechanical thing was perfect and showed me the information and that it checked out for there lot, test drove and seemed fine. well 30 min after i left check engine light comes on so on way home got it checked at autozone. codes were p0171, p0174, and p0101. trying to figure exactly what they mean but can really find straight answers? but what does this mean if someone who knows all this stuff could help. i dont know if it matters but it is a 2004 chevy silverado 1500. 5.3 v8 flex fuel.
    so you on your drive home from a "dealership" you had the DTC check engine light come on. what was the warranty ? most likely they reset the PCM before selling to you . was this GM sales or auction buyer auto/truck sales ?

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by j cat View Post
    with the MAF code and the lean codes on both banks 1/2 this I guess would be a leak between the MAF and throttlebody. could also be leak in the upper intake . loose IAC or PCV crankcase venting etc oil dip stick no seated some other vacuum leak. A 2004 5.3L I think does not have a PCV. internal to driverside valve cover ?

    - - - Updated - - -



    so you on your drive home from a "dealership" you had the DTC check engine light come on. what was the warranty ? most likely they reset the PCM before selling to you . was this GM sales or auction buyer auto/truck sales ?
    bought it from johnson motors in menominee, wi. of course had to sign off on that everything was ok. so called and bitched today but they say not there fault. so pretty pissed. sodont buy from Johnson Motors!!!!

  10. #10
    Legend

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    everett, massachusetts
    Posts
    1,446

    Default

    if you just purchased this in my state you can return it 3 in days. they should be reported to your states consumer affairs division.

    if you signed off on a as is purchase for 700.oo then your stuck .

Similar Threads

  1. SRS & ABS codes????
    By baboracus in forum Chevy C/K Truck Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last: 01-19-2012, 02:57 PM
  2. Tire Rack Coupon Codes and discount codes
    By ChevyFan in forum Tire Rack
    Replies: 0
    Last: 12-03-2011, 11:42 PM
  3. any help with these codes please
    By black4door in forum GM Powertrain
    Replies: 2
    Last: 05-10-2010, 03:31 AM
  4. help have u and p codes what to do
    By johnpimentel72 in forum Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)
    Replies: 7
    Last: 06-30-2008, 08:32 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •