GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Thread: My Shovel Head

Default My Shovel Head

Hey guys, looking for some input...I'm thinking about selling my bike, but really have no idea what to start asking. I inherited it a couple years ago, and have been trying to get it fixed/cleaned up ever since. Looking to get something newer/more reliable. All I know about it is that it's a 1976 shovelhead sitting on a 1952 frame. I've done a top a top end gasket replacement on it, and got A LOT of rust off of it. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user18254_pic8088_1313442793.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	49506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user18254_pic8090_1313442830.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	49507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user18254_pic8094_1313442886.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	49508Click image for larger version. 

Name:	user18254_pic8085_1313442765.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	49509
    Justin Winstead
    -Air Raid Cold Air Intake -Power Aid Throttle Body Spacer -Flow Master Dual Exhaust
    -20 S.E.R.E. BMF Wheels -3 in BMF Leveling Kit -Nitto Terra Grappler Tires

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Wow!! Wish I had the funds... I would ask around $20K ??
    08 Z71 Avalanche Mods to date: K&N CAI,Hellwig Swaybars and End Links, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Superchips Programer,IPCW LOF & 3rd brake light and tails, AMI Gas door,Show Hooks and Door locks, Enkei Wheels, with Pirelli tires, StreetScene Bowties, Grant Steering wheel,Muth signal mirrors,SSBC Big Brake kit,Huskyliner Mug gards,Floor mats and Hood shield, McGard Lug nuts and locks, Bedrug, Cervini's Ram Air hood,35watt HID Fog lights, Sylvania bulbs all around ZXE's Highs and Lows, WhiteNight Back up lights,Sirius and HD Radio, SnugTop sitting on deck now Got a Softopper on now,Tempress Boat Hatches.... New Bilstein shocks are on... New Mods coming soon..... X

20K! WOW! Lol, I need to add that it is a project bike, so it's not running at the moment. Just needs a little more TLC/know how that I don't have..I hope you're right with that price Enkeiavalanche!

Legend

Piermont,NY, back in Northern NJ now, But may be in IL soon....

Hey you can always ask and go down a bit.. But I would think between $16-20K I could be wrong They would have to be a diehard HD fan

Anyone else have any input?

I would say closer to $15k.
    I also inherited a vehicle a few years ago. It was an 02 ZR2 Blazer. Ran like a champ with no issues. When I bought my Sierra I traded it in. To this day I kick myself in the a$$ for doing that. So I would suggest if you haven't already done this is to think hard about selling this scooter.

2011 GMC Sierra SLE - 5.3 - 4X4 - Z71 - King Shock Level Kit - Body Color GMC grill emblem - 2 Tone Engine Cover, Rad Cover and Battery Box - Volant CAI - Tru Cool 40K tranny cooler - Sylvania ZXE bulbs Hi/Low -TriFold Hard Tonneau Cover- CoverCraft Seat Covers - Diablo inTune - GoRecon LED under rail lights - GoRecon LED White Lightning Tailgate Light Bar - Windows tinted to 45%- Kenwood DNX6990 - JL Audio C5-650 &650X- JL Audio Amp- Interco Truxus M/T 33x12.50x18

Legend
    Blog Entries

My Dad had a mid 70's shovel head, with the jockey shift. 7,500 original miles, untouched and he got $14,000 about 6 years ago. If you need the money then sell it, but honestly the new HD's 2004+ suck. They don't sound or ride the same, they are turning more into a luxury bike than anything. Lot's of extra add on junk for lot's of extra money, I would keep what you have honestly. They all leak oil even the new one's, yours is a nice old classic.
    2004 Chevy Colorado
    LS1 5.7 swap/TBSS rear axle swap

Unfortunately resale on a bike like that is closer to $10 or $12K in running condition, theres quite a few shops turning out hardtail replacement frames.
    Shovel head engines are getting harder to find but companies like S&S are manufacturing new cylinders and heads and with the availability of aftermarket transmissions like Baker 6 spds a lot of those older bikes with bad engines/trans are starting to find their way back on the streets.
    I recently sold a running original condition 1976 Shovel for $9600, I felt lucky to get that price, I had the bike on the market for 9 months (so much for a quick turn-over and a little profit).
    One thing you've got in your favor is it looks like you still have the kick start, a lot of those older bikes were converted to electric start, somewhere around 76 they offered both electric and kick start on the shovel heads, it was only a one or two year deal and those engines are the most desirable.
    Yours looks like it has a lot of aftermarket parts like the later model wide glide front end and some chrome S&S performance parts, start at $12k and let them work you towards $10k.

Amy not all Harleys mark their spot, I have two in the garage right now that dont drop any oil, my 09 and an 04, the 04 has had new gaskets and seals but even before that at 62000 miles she wasnt marking. The secret is keep up on checking case bolt torques, running the bikes to operating temps weekly, and keeping an eye out for wet spots on the cases.

I think it really depends on the buyer in my opinion. I went through the Harley Tech program at mmi quite a few years back and with the curb appeal I think 15k aint far fetched at all. Nice looking bike though!
    14/88

Thanks for the input guys, I'll keep y'all updated on what happens...