GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 Last Post byLast Post by

Quote Originally Posted by walmart player View Post
    Does leveling your truck effect the mpg or is it just for looks? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just seems like it would be more areodynamic with the nose down I would think.
    With a leveling kit bigger tires can be added so that does not help mpg, so it is not all about just looks. But leveling doesn't help the aerodynamics but I am not sure how much that really would effect ones mpg.
    2002 Chevy Silverado & 1995 Ford Bronco

02 Silverado: 50K miles, 20" Motto Rims, Flowmaster 50 Series
    95 Bronco: 160K miles, 4" Superlift, 33/12.5/15 Mickey Thompson
    01 Civic: 75K miles, DD
    -Erik

Quote Originally Posted by walmart player View Post
    Does leveling your truck effect the mpg or is it just for looks? Sorry if this is a dumb question, just seems like it would be more areodynamic with the nose down I would think.
    I haven't noticed a difference yet. I'll let you know if it does.

- - - Updated - - -

This might be a better picture. I don't have a before shot from this angle but you can tell there is a difference if you compare it to the original before shot.... I think..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	49588

Legend

the front lift looks good . after operating a couple of thousand miles get the front end alignment done. the front will drop slightly after this amount of operation.

most of these 2wd trucks do have issues with front end drop. with the truck level you should have better control. the new shocks will last much longer and less front end component wear.

there is no mpg diff in leveling the truck this small amount. you would have to slam it to the ground, with full ground effects, to alter the aero enough to notice mpg diff. that is not to say that other things you change along with the height of the vehicle will not affect the mpg, such as tires, rims, gear ratios, etc.

ditto for tailgates up or down, or adding camper shells to improve mileage. though many will disagree, there is no significant change in mileage for those changes.

Jr. Apprentice

Thanks for answering my questions buckmeister2.

Legend

the higher the vehicle the more the drag . larger tires will also reduce MPG by a very small amount. a 6 inch lift you would have no problem seeing lower MPG.

with a lifting of the front to level a vehicle , the MPG change I would expect to be very small to measure.

I have a bed cover on my truck and it does make it more aerodynamic . tail gates down really don't do much for ya.

I know that this is an older thread, but I came across it while doing some research on leveling my 05 Silverado 1500 2WD Crew Cab and I have a couple of questions.

1. What is the largest tire I could run using a 17" wheel?
    2. After the lift and larger tires are installed, is there a need to adjust the angle on the headlights?

Thanks in advance

if you are just leveling, I think the largest tire you will get away with is a 285 75 17....if others know better, please post. I know someone who put a 305 75 17 on after leveling, but they had to do some trimming up front. Yes, your lights will need adjusting. Please don't be one of those idiots who level/raise their truck, then get a thrill out blinding people with their bright lights. It is not only annoying and dangerous, it makes non-truck drivers hate us all. You can re-aim your lights in your driveway, using your garage door as a guide. Jim
    Las Vegas, NV...2001 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Stepside X-cab, 171,000 miles, 5.3, cat-back duals, leveling kit, 3.73, 17" rims, more to come...

Why doesn't the manufacturer just make em level to begin with? 2 or 4 wheel drive I don't understand the front end being lower than rear end?...just don't get it

Thanks for the reply buckmeister. That was pretty much what I was thinking for both of my questions. I just wanted to make sure.

Boomer, I believe it is for aerodynamics. At least as much ad you can make a truck anyway.