GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Hybrid View

Default Pulling Hard Left in 4x4

Hey guys, Im really hoping to find some help here as I am at a complete loss. I've got an 05 Z71 Sierra that humms quites loudly and pulls hard to the left the second that 4 wheel drive engages and then any and all hints to the problem disappear the second it's returned to 2wd. I've replaced both hubs, rotors, and pads(Before problem) and then today I replaced both CV's(Problem related) which had no affect on the condition.
    Thank you for your time,
    -Rob

EDIT: Someone told me it could be the transfer case chain, but that makes no sense in my logic.
    Last edited by Robert Gaba; 02-18-2013 at 05:09 PM.

I have sometimes seen this kind of behavior when there is excess "tension" in the drivetrain. Are all 4 tires matched, or are the fronts a different make/model from the rear? Even tires that are the same size can have enough size difference from manufacturer to manufacturer to create tension that can show up as a pulling to one side.
    '98 K1500 Suburban LS 5.7 L 4L60E NV246 ARB
    '92 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0 L A4LD BW13-54 Trac-loc rear
    "My toys were the greasy cogs and springs and pistons that lay around all over the place, and these, I can promise you, were far more fun to play with than most of the plastic rubbish children are given nowadays." Danny in Roald Dahl's Danny The Champion of the World

Quote Originally Posted by MrShorty View Post
    I have sometimes seen this kind of behavior when there is excess "tension" in the drivetrain. Are all 4 tires matched, or are the fronts a different make/model from the rear? Even tires that are the same size can have enough size difference from manufacturer to manufacturer to create tension that can show up as a pulling to one side.

You know what? The Spare is actually on the right front, same brand and model (Bridgestone Duelers but the others are Revos, the spare wasn't) but I do believe the load range and speed rating was different on the spare. Ill try swaping them around to see if the problem transfers to the other side tomorrow morning.
    Thank you!
    -Rob

According to my ring and pinion guy, The bearing on the drivers side of the front diff are known to go bad at about 100,000 miles. He said that this is the most common repair he sees. Take it by a gear shop, they should check it out for free. Most the time transfercase chains just become noisy, a Bad one will not cause pulling..ever...

1995 Silverado 4x4
    6" BDS Suspension Lift-3" Body Lift-Add A Leaf in rear -Trailmaster SSV Shocks-Duel Steering Stabilizer Kit -AirAid Cold air intake-
    4.56 Gears with Detroit Auburn Locker-Pro-Comp Traction Bars with duel shocks-Aluminum Skid Plate Kit-38.5" x 16.5" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws-Constant Dropping fuel gauge

2005 Yukon XL Jet Power Programmer, Bilstein Shocks, Bilstein rear springs, Helwig Anti-sway bars, EGR Window Visors, EGR Hood Shield, Denali Headlights, Headlight harness upgrade, GE NightHawk Bulbs, White Night Rear lighting system, Russell Braided SS brake lines, PowerStop Brake pads, PowerStop cross drilled and Slotted Rotors, http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sho...5-GMC-Yukon-XL
    2002 Silverado ext cab 2wd (Sold)
    2003 Yukon XL (Totaled)

Legend

with the operation of 4wd all tires must be the same size and wear. when this is NOT then the drive train will fail .

with a spare unworn tire on the passenger side and worn tire on the driver side it would do a pull to the left.

Jr. Apprentice

I have this same issue with my 2000 GMC Sierra Z-71. I have replaced the front differential, both CV axles, the driver side wheel hub, and all of my tires are the same size. Wheels are not bent, breaks are relatively new etc. I haven't found any real answers searching the web for almost 6 months. It will pull to the left in 4wd, even in snow or mud, and then as soon as you take it back to 2wd it pulls straight instantly. Any answers on this issue?

Legend

swap the front tires left to right right to left.